Unfortunate autocorrects

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Unfortunate autocorrects

Post by ALynnPowers »

Recently, I have begun using my cheap android tablet to jot down a few paragraphs of my current WIP here and there while I am out during the day. I had a small USB keyboard to go with it, but a few weeks ago I spilled tea all over it and now the entire bottom row between the "c" and the "?" keys don't work. Since then, I've had no choice but to use the touch screen and endure the torture of autofinish and what I have begun to refer to as "unfortunate autocorrects of the day."

Some examples:
"...college students..." was changed to the highly inappropriate "...colored students..."
"...break the silence..." became "bream the silken" (because that makes so much more sense, right?)
"... quite frank..." somehow turned into "...whip Frank..." which had a completely different meaning that what I was going for.

And then today, my character asked another character, "Are you jealous?"
But instead it came out as, "Are you Jesus?"
The answer was no, on both accounts, in case you were curious.

Please share some of your unfortunate autocorrects or mistakes you have come across in your own writing!
Please tell me I'm not alone in this! 8)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Autocorrect is at it again!
I always turn my predictive text off so as not to have those.
That does not however prevent typos.
I love these! Made my day :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

My typos would be too great if I didn't have it on! Most of the time, I can type the first couple of letters, then choose the word I want from a list. It saves me a ton of time. My fingers are too fat for the keys otherwise.
I didn't have any unfortunate ones today. Just a bunch of jibberish a few times when even the computer couldn't figure out what I was trying to write.

-- 11 Sep 2014, 22:00 --

Today's follow-up:
A character with a minor injury claimed that she would "feel better tomorrow" but it came out as "I'll feel Brett tomorrow."
I don't know who Brett is, but he'd better watch out tomorrow!
neropanda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by neropanda »

Ohmygosh those are great. You could totally write a book too that's basically a collection of all the unfortunate autocorrect incidents.

The other day a friend of mine went out to buy some food for a business presentation we had to do next period. At the time that she texted me, I was talking to a group of people about food. Her text read "I got tomboys."

I was kind of confused. Were "tomboys" some sort of slang term for a new type/old type of food? I mean, I'm not exactly up-to-date with lots of slang either so <.< I asked the group of people I was with what tomboys were. Someone started to explain to me the legit definition of tomboy, when I cut them off and said "no, the food." Well this stumped everyone. There was a group of about eight of us and we were all trying to figure out what tomboys could possibly be. We got nothing.

Later we found out that she had meant to say "timbits." <.<
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

I was writing instructions for employees and unfortunely wrote lick instead of click. Such as Lick the Sign In Button. It was horrifically funny.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Autocorrect really stinks!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Ah, the cursed autocorrect! I have had too many encounters with this scourge/blessing, from writing to sending text messages. Unfortunately, none of mine have been funny, just highly annoying. I especially hate it when the confounded device wants to "correct" the names of my friends and family!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

But sometimes I do learn new words from it. So I guess that is something good. :?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Oh yeah, names are always an issue. Especially when I try to write Japanese names... those always get changed to something weird.

Like Haruka is always Hurrah or something. Thanks a lot, AC, you loser.
RobC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robc.html

Post by RobC »

The grammar function on Word is a nuisance. I turn it off now. If I followed its advice, the text would cease to make coherent sense.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

ALynnPowers wrote: "...college students..." was changed to the highly inappropriate "...colored students..."
"...break the silence..." became "bream the silken" (because that makes so much more sense, right?)
"... quite frank..." somehow turned into "...whip Frank..." which had a completely different meaning that what I was going for.

And then today, my character asked another character, "Are you jealous?"
But instead it came out as, "Are you Jesus?"
The answer was no, on both accounts, in case you were curious.
I had forgotten all about these! This is awesome!

Are you Jesus?
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

ALynn, that's hilarious!

I remember years ago when I was working for a newspaper, they'd just transitioned from manual typewriters to computer terminals, and the autocorrect system was full of bugs, hyphenating words like "cat" and other happy idiocies.

When I set up my new laptop last September and installed MS-Office, first thing I did was to turn off ALL autocorrect features! After I finish something I'll let it do a spell check, mostly to catch typos, but all that post-completion checking is voluntary.

The best spellchecker is between your ears.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I would just like to remind @PashaRu of the brilliant autocorrect known as the "Harvard pjs"
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This has been entertaining, and I appreciate it when someone can write about annoying things in an entertaining way ;-). I'm a little newer than a lot of folks to having a smartphone, and it seems to really battle with autocorrects when I'm texting. I'm assuming there's a way to I'll be able to figure out how to stop using it...the autocorrects, not the texting!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Jyak
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyak.html

Post by Jyak »

My auto-corrects always seem to be mainly sexual as I could probably put together an erotic novel with my expansive collection.
Here are a few:
Immature -> I'm mating
Victoria (name) -> Victoria's Secret
Gulp -> G-spot
Meet me -> Meme me
Slitting -> Slutting
Enjoy the idea of a short story with these words replaced.
Let me know your worst auto-correct fails. Thanks! XD

Return to “Writing Discussion”