Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
JanDem21
Currently Reading: Slow Burn Torrent #5
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jandem21.html

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by JanDem21 »

I think out loud when I write so I perfer solitude and no interpretation or distractions. Thinking out loud helps keep me on track, though I might take longer than you average person to fill up a whole page. I ask my self questions like "Is that really something they would say?" Or "Does it make sense for them to react like that?" My family finds it weird but for me its helpful. I like when its quiet and I'm the only one home, I can work in the kitchen and eat a snack. Though if I have someone I can bounce ideas off of and they respect that I need quiet then I don't mind if I have company.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I do prefer to be alone when I write. I write at home or at the library. And sometimes by the lake.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Over the years, I've learned to wall myself off for study and writing. In a large collegiate environment, you cannot always be alone to work. So it became necessary for me to create an artificial separation for working, even if sitting in a student union with noise all around.

This has worked very well for me and now I can write (and read) in most any environment. Concentration is necessary but it's better than not writing unless you're in the perfect quiet and sedate locale. Hey, I share a nice cozy apartment with my wonderful girlfriend, and she can't be asked to sit like a stump while I'm writing.

Best to learn to work amidst distractions. Let's face it -- in the business world, where you're working for a living, you cannot always have a nice shell to sit inside of. So it's a good idea to learn how to wall off distractions by willpower.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Msshannonperry

Post by Msshannonperry »

Yes, unless I'm collaborating with someone else on a book or poem. Usually, I prefer to write alone.
Braktooth
Currently Reading: The Virtues of Captain America
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

I can write in a variety of environments, but what I really prefer is dark and quiet. All I want to hear is my music and the keyboard. If the room is dark except for my work area, even better. I find reality distracting when I'm really trying to think, especially creatively.
Last edited by Braktooth on 15 Apr 2016, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

As I say, sometimes it's just not possible to work in seclusion. So it helps to develop a "magical protective shell" so you can work among distractions. Not a perfect solution but one I've found works for me.
JudyM5

Post by JudyM5 »

I like to be alone in a room but I don't have to be alone in the house. I like silence and warmth.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Being in a relationship, the monkish solitude some require just isn't a possibility for me, unless I weirdly break up with my terrific girlfriend.

I therefore am able to create my own "cone of silence" around me despite the fact that my lady love is sitting nearby. She thankfully respects when I'm deep into my laptop and so she doesn't interrupt unless the house is afire.
Mille
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mille.html

Post by Mille »

I absolutely have to be alone to write. I can't even have music on. It's too hard to access those subtle thoughts and feelings that can really transform a piece of writing if you are distracted.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

As I said, I learned to write within distractions when in college. And that served me well working for a big newspaper as a "stringer" -- a stringer is paid for piecework but not on salary. Nevertheless, back in the old days of manual typewriters (big clunky and noisy Underwoods), you'd be sitting at a desk in the main newsroom, nicknamed "the pit", with maybe 30 other desks, everyone at each desk pounding away on a story. These were not even electric typewriters -- the big old manual types, which made a helluva lot of noise. Multiply that by 30, have phones ringing all the time, newsboys running back and forth, people shouting "copy!" and editors yelling at someone in the pit?

And you STILL had to write a story, and do a good job, too. Someone who just had to sit in solitude and quiet? Wouldn't last a week in a newspaper office. You've seen movies of press rooms? It's just like that except more chaotic and noisy.

I guarantee that this cures anyone of the solitude gene, ha ha.

These days, of course my girlfriend respects my need to be uninterrupted, and if I'm working on a book review or article or book, I'll let her know that I'm in the "cone of silence" (kudos to the old TV show Get Smart) and so things are rather easy going. But never totally quiet. I just don't need it any more.

I however cannot listen to music when writing. Loving classical, Mozart and Beethoven always win -- you cannot just listen to them as background stuff. Being trained in music, I find myself following the patterns and themes and so I really cannot play music while writing or reviewing. But random stuff is fine.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

Definitely. I get the privacy I need to think without any distractions. Plus, when I'm thinking too hard, I make weird faces (lol) and sometimes, when I'm not sure if the scene if flowing smoothly, I act it out. So yeah, I like to be alone when I write.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Yes i do prefer to be alone when i write.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
joefowler
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by joefowler »

I MUST be alone to write. Any distraction and my mind goes wonky. I need peace to keep what's left of my mind working properly.
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

I absolutely HAVE to be alone when I write, at least when I'm at home, due to distractions from the kid, pets, or husband demanding my attention. Once they come home, the t.v. goes on, so I have to wait until they go to bed. Sometimes, I can write at a Starbucks because none of the background noise is directed toward me, or requires my attention.
Grant Costello

Post by Grant Costello »

I'd love to be alone when I write. I have a noisy wife and two kids with autism, so it's rarely peaceful when plying my craft. But a survivor finds ways to survive.

Return to “Writing Discussion”