Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by cooltodd »

Do you need to be alone when you write? Do you like to be alone? What kind of environment do you like to have when you write?
knightss

Post by knightss »

I prefer to be alone when i write. I like writing late at night because it's quiet and my thoughts just seem to flow when i am concentrating on my writing.

Environment: My room with a cup of coffee next to me ;)
Linda

Post by Linda »

i much rather be alone. and like Knightss I usually write when its late...or maybe even when it becomes morning. 2am is such a peaceful hour so it's hard not to think then, that is if you're awake. I like the 2am silence alot so even I can't listen to music unless it's real quiet.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Linda

Post by Linda »

oh but maybe if i met someone who i liked and who liked to write I'd enjoy their company in my room at 2 am lol
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I've never been a fan of silence, and general quiet isn't too high on my list of favorite things. I like ambient noise. The TV on but low. People talking. I also tend to write at night, but I'll have music on. Or even a comedian on. Just something to keep it from being quiet.

Then again, it all depends on what I'm writing. If I'm writing a particular boring section, something that's just filler, I have a hard time doing it no matter where I am. However, if I'm doing a scene that I'm excited about, I can bang that thing out anywhere. I've written things standing up in an elevator. Good times.
Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

"oh but maybe if i met someone who i liked and who liked to write I'd enjoy their company in my room at 2 am lol"

"However, if I'm doing a scene that I'm excited about, I can bang that thing out anywhere. I've written things standing up in an elevator. Good times."

I'm trying to be serious here, but y'all are turnin' a brotha on! :)

I believe most writers realize we must be alone to really pound out the prose. Of course, if we're in a roomful of writers writing, that in itself can be an aphrodisiac of sorts. That vibe that's loosed into the air--ALL THAT ARTISTIC CREATION!--just does it for us. After all of that, yes, I prefer to be alone (with my music, of course) when I'm writing.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i love being alone when i write because when other people are around they always ask what i am writing and then i get really self concious. i don't know if that is just me or what, in the words of my brother, that's how i roll.
martyjkh

Post by martyjkh »

I need to be on my own, although sometimes i have music on, does that countas being alone?
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

Eastwood, you nut!

In general, I guess alone with music on seems to be the best method for all of us.

I have 'soundtracks' for all of my stories, and I just play those. It's pretty cool, actually.
Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

DuchessAngel37 wrote:Eastwood, you nut!

In general, I guess alone with music on seems to be the best method for all of us.

I have 'soundtracks' for all of my stories, and I just play those. It's pretty cool, actually.
DuchessAngel37, it's funny you mention that about a soundtrack, because I remember once burning this specific mix cd with all 80s songs in order to help capture that decade in my writing. I never thought of it as a soundtrack...but I guess that's what it was. :) And it is pretty cool.
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I do most of my work when I'm alone. I'll take pages to edit to a coffee shop, though, and while that's not technically alone, no one bothers me so it's almost like being alone.
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

I like to be alone when writing because if someone is there they usually want to talk, or ask me what I am writing along with five million other questions which distracts me from what I want to be doing, WRITING. I usually write in themiddle of the night so I have little if any problems with the questions and interruptions.
Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

kaytie wrote:I do most of my work when I'm alone. I'll take pages to edit to a coffee shop, though, and while that's not technically alone, no one bothers me so it's almost like being alone.
Yeah, kaytie, I think we're all like that. While I enjoy being around like-doing folks (whether reading or writing; even the folks just sitting around, who are respecting the physical and mental space of others), chilling with the headphones on and reading or writing is beautiful...and I am also sorta-kinda alone.
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

Maybe it's just because I am such a loud, outgoing person, but I need that buzz of life around me. The only downfall to me for writing in public is sitting. I don't have a problem with people talking to me, because for the most part, if you look busy, no one bothers you. Plus, I've found that if you write in restaurants, obviously no one from another table or something is gonna be like, what is that? Plus, you can easily be mistaken for a critic, and you get better service.

But no, it's all about the position I'm in for me. When I'm into what I'm doing, it's like I try to climb into the paper. I can be sitting up, writing away, but once I start going, BAM, I am sprawled on my stomach either on my bed, or the floor, or the couch, doing that thing where you rest your head on your non-writing arm so you 're looking at the words from the edge of the paper.

I should try that in Perkins one day, climb up on the table and start writing. Just to see what would happen.
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

Eastwood wrote:
kaytie wrote:I do most of my work when I'm alone. I'll take pages to edit to a coffee shop, though, and while that's not technically alone, no one bothers me so it's almost like being alone.
Yeah, kaytie, I think we're all like that. While I enjoy being around like-doing folks (whether reading or writing; even the folks just sitting around, who are respecting the physical and mental space of others), chilling with the headphones on and reading or writing is beautiful...and I am also sorta-kinda alone.
Yep, it's a nice feeling. I know a few writers who think it's distracting, but mostly people enjoy changing the scenery. I also liked the Library in San Jose. Unfortunately, San Diego does not have a nice library at the moment. They're building one, but it will take forever.

I can't work at Starbucks, though--for some reason, people like to talk to me there.

Return to “Writing Discussion”