Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Avid SciFi Fan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by Avid SciFi Fan »

I prefer quiet with no distraction. I find it helps me to focus on the writting at hand. I don't nessecarily have to be alone (as long as they aren't making a lot of noise or trying to have a conversation with me).

Sometimes I welcome the opinions of others staring over my shoulder. Sometimes I could go in one of several directions with a scenario and just need a nudge in a direction.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I get really self conscious when I write and other people are around me. I mumble to myself a lot and scratch things out, and just would really rather not have people around to witness that. I don't like when people try to talk to me while I'm writing, because it gets distracting and I lose my focus. The worst bit about writing in public though is when someone tries to read what I'm writing. You're not being discreet and I can see you're trying to read what I'm writing, and I'm not okay with someone seeing it before it's done. It's raw and unedited, it's almost embarrassing to see my own personal edits in the margins and awful handwriting. I feel much better writing alone.
rajesh

Post by rajesh »

I prefer to be alone
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I too like to write by myself. I have to little children and am a stay-at-home mom. Trying to write when their up and running around making noise is close to impossible. The best time is when it's their bedtime :)
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I definitely have to be alone when I write. I get too distracted when other people are around and there are other things going on. I do jot notes down any time I get ideas to think about, but when I actually sit down to write about them, it has to be someplace and sometime when there aren't any distractions. I don't like being interrupted when I am trying to write something and I don't like being grouchy to people if I'm trying to get my ideas written out and they are bothering me so I just do it when I can find some alone time.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

When writing I definitely would rather be alone then being around anyone or anything. When I write I lose my concentration really quickly and then can't remember where I was in my thought process. Or a lot of the time it comes to where I can't even remember certain words even when they are very simple ones.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
Krbustillos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krbustillos.html

Post by Krbustillos »

I love to be alone when I write. I prefer it to be in the early morning when the sun is coming up with a cup of coffee.
hyrumseries
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyrumseries.html

Post by hyrumseries »

Unless I'm collaborating, I like to write alone. People coming in and out, talking to me...it does nothing but distract me. I hate it when people go out of their way to find out what I'm working on--I don't interrupt you on the phone, why are you going to interrupt me now? It's frustrating, draining and incredibly off-putting.

As for environment: anywhere I have access to some sort of writing utensil. Stick me up a tree with my phone. I'll figure it out.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I like to be alone when I write, it helps with concentration. If I try to write with my husband in the room, I usually get distracted by the TV or he will start talking to me. If I try to write with my kids in the room, I will not be writing. Haha
CornishViking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornishviking.html

Post by CornishViking »

I love to be alone when I write...but its a rare occurrence. Its usually chaos here!
meadow730
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by meadow730 »

When I write, I like to be alone, where it's quiet so I can concentrate on what I am writing and my train-of-thought. It's very easy to get pulled into what you are writing. Sometimes time seems to fly by and before you know it hours have passed and you have expressed so many ideas but you have only scratched the surface. It's easier to be in a quiet place so you don't get distracted by noises or other people.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

I prefer writing with no one else in my surroundings, though it's not impossible if someone else is there. Even if just one person is in my room when I'm trying to write, it's a bit distracting, even when they're completely silent. Of course, I can't write in noisy surroundings. It's practically impossible to concentrate! -Zaynab
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I much prefer being alone when I write because otherwise I feel self conscious about what i'm writing. In general the environment around me doesn't really affect me when i'm writing. It's always been crazy loud in my house so I've gotten used to it. I like to write while i'm listening to music it makes me get into the mood of writing and have a rhythm to the words i'm writing.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Pectabyte

Post by Pectabyte »

I prefer being in the room and working with my co-author in a google doc. We've known each other since kindergarten and springboard off each other very well.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Sharing a medium size apartment with a live-in girlfriend, neither of us is alone in the sense of isolation. But we're both grownups and have had relationships with others and so on, so she and I both know how to carve out personal space. So we may be in the same room, my gf reading a book and I'm writing, and we sort of leave each other alone for a while.

There's a thin line of course, as with any live-in relationship -- we are "together" but we also don't impinge on each other. It works out most of the time, which is all anyone could expect. When my gf sees me deep into the keyboard and frowning to myself, maybe grumbling, she knows I'm writing and not just surfing around like now, and to "stay away" ha ha. Likewise when she's intense on one of her projects, I know that it's best to cut her some slack.

So... I'm not generally alone in a physical sense when I'm writing but I "wall off" distractions pretty well. Hey, working in a big newsroom, you learn to focus.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “Writing Discussion”