How do you keep writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Re: How do you keep writing?

Post by WestIndie001 »

Sometimes writers have stories in their heads that need to come out. For published writers, they'll have to keep writing because it equals a paycheck. I love writing, because I love coming up with different scenarios and wacky characters. That's what motivates me to keep writing, even though some of my ebooks only make a few cents a week. If you don't love writing you should do something else then.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

An author (Somerset Maugham) was once asked, "Do you write on a schedule, or only when inspiration strikes?" His response was, "I write only when inspiration strikes. Fortunately it strikes every morning at 9."

There is something to be said for writing on a schedule, or at least to write SOMETHING every day, be it 1 paragraph, 1 page, or 5 pages. Writing seems to beget writing -- the more you do it, the more natural it becomes. And, as they say, "Writers love to have written." So when you feel uninspired, write anyway, even if you are writing something completely different, and that writing will inspire further writing!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I actually need to get back into writing. I have a new job and it's taking up a lot of my time that I use to use for writing. I do think that it helps to have a schedule. I need to somehow myself on one.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
baley
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2633">The Boy who Lived with Ghosts</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by baley »

Yeah,writing is an indispensable inspiration to me. It comes as prose in my brain, writing subplot and short stories. Being compelled to write by my inner prison makes me take a lot of time writing through, but at times I get entangled on going overboard till I lose count of which day of the week it is.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Some people just can't stop writing because they love writing. For example, I feel like I was born to write. That's my motivation, my love for writing. That's what makes it so important to me. I think you need to discover what motivates you to write in the first place. Let it fuel you. You also have to make conscious effort to keep going. And most importantly, be your biggest fan, even while being your biggest critique. It takes you to keep writing just like it takes you to stop writing.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's hard to be consistent when it comes to writing, but a schedule helps. It keeps you organized and sets your mind on achieving what you had in plan. The important part is to not overdo it. Forcing yourself to write is far from a good strategy, it might even make you hate writing or not feel comfortable with it so it beats the purpose.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I've always had this exact problem. I have incredibly low self-esteem and when you add Generalized Anxiety Disorder on top of that, it can be nearly impossible for me to keep writing. The key is to just think about your first draft as for yourself only, as if no one else will ever read it, so that you can get through writing it. Then you can let your inner critic loose during the editing stages so that you can make your writing the best (and most presentable) as it can be. It's not easy, I know. I still have issues with finishing work and even more with receiving feedback. I think it helps that I'm in a part-time Master's in Creative Writing program now; I'm forced to write on a regular basis to keep up with the program and, really, that forces my inner critic to shut up long enough to throw something together.

While I want to be published and have others read and love my work, writing is important to me because it's the way in which I make sense of myself and the world around me. I write stories with certain themes, plots, and characters depending on what's most prominently on my mind at the time. If I didn't write, I would probably just be a mess of incomprehensible frustration and moodiness. Once I'm done writing and know what I'm thinking and trying to say, I then worry about making it presentable. I have to keep reminding myself that it's for me first and foremost, otherwise nothing gets written.

It also helps to remember that every first draft is horrible. It's just how it is. You can always rewrite once you're done.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

A good support system is a wonderful thing to have! I also having a dream to be published helps as well. I struggle with self doubt and from the few other friends I have, it is a big obstacle but one every writer faces. Every time I write, as I write, I doubt myself. I doubt my writing. I feel like it is crap and others will find it horrible. But I have a best friend that encourages me to push through it, and other friends that do the same.

That is what really keeps me writing.
Eric John
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Eric John »

I don’t care if you have to trick yourself into it. If you’re going to do stuff that matters, you will need to find a way to stop chasing shiny objects, sit down, and get something done.

That’s all there is to it.

Half-finished paintings don’t make it into museums.
Half-drawn blueprints don’t make for well-constructed buildings (or any building at all).
And half-finished manuscripts don’t make for much of a story.

Truth is: you can’t create compelling art if you don’t stay on track.

Getting your work done is essential to making an impact. You have to finish. Staying focused is how you do it.
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

The best way to keep writing is to pen down your ideas or inspiration as bullet points immediately they surge up. Afterwards, you can begin to elaborate them. It is a good idea to always have them as parchments and then putting them together as a final note when you are done gathering the details. Do not always seek to write and edit one and for all...it might lead to a boring writing experience.
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

I make myself sit down and write whatever comes to mind. Lately I have been writing about not being able to find work. I have been in the workforce since the age of 15, almost 20 years experience. It baffles me that a person with skills can't even get a crappy job just to make end meet.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I have been doing a course with a writer who recommended to me that I first write two synopses of the novel I want to write, one three pages long and one ten pages long, then a breakdown of the novel by chapter and scene, then a timeline and an account of how the characters change in each chapter. I slogged through all this for the novel I'm currently working on, and now I am just writing it. My goal is to find 15 minutes a day to write. Unfortunately I've been so busy that even that hasn't been possible recently, but I do hope to regain the momentum soon. Some bits are harder to get through than others but the synopses are a great tool because I can just refer back to them to provide the structure and tell me what will happen next.

tl;dr Break huge tasks down into smaller, more manageable ones
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have the same problem. I cannot continue with my work and I usually criticize my own work. To overcome this, I write stories in a single breath and finish and publish it. later even I get regretful thoughts regarding my work, I am glad that anyhow I finished it
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I remind myself that I love what I'm doing and that I really want to see how this story I have in my head comes to life. As excited as I am by the thought of other people reading what I've come up with, I'm so much more excited to see it myself. It's an amazing feeling to be able to experience a world you've created.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I believe that feeling that one is a fraud, or that we cannot write worth crap, or that we just aren't good enough is part of a thing, and yes it really is a thing, called imposterism. Where our self confidence lags and we think we know that we are worthless as a writer. Yet, when we go back and look at our previous work, we might think, I could not have done this. It is all the mind playing nasty tricks with us. And it might be interesting to know, some of the best out there suffer the same thing. Neil Gaiman, who I would think is one of the best, experiences this. There are hundreds more. So when that self doubt hits remember you are not alone, you are in great company and just keep writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”