When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Post by avatarofrozein »

My ideas like to come along while I'm writing about other things.
TeenBookReviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teenbookreviews.html

Post by TeenBookReviews »

Yes all the time or if I can't think of the words. I just write it on my phone.
AryanArora

Post by AryanArora »

I buy a small pad with a pen and jot my thoughts down even from class
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

This often happens to me, luckily with the introduction of smarthphones I always have a place to write down any good ideas that come to me.
inksomniareads
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inksomniareads.html
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews

Post by inksomniareads »

I'm usually asleep or on the verge of going to sleep, and I say I'll remember it in the morning, but I never do. I'll clearly never learn my lesson, either, because I keep doing it like a stupid.
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews
tobeywilson

Post by tobeywilson »

I'm a college student, and if I don't have at least three pages of content come to me, at least once a week, in the middle of lecture, then I'm probably dead. More than once I have looked like an exceptional note taker when really I have no idea whats going on in the class. I'm not a bad student. I am, however, sometimes convinced that what I'm writing is more important.
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

My best thoughts come in the middle of the night. I try to keep a notebook handy so I can turn on the light and jot a few notes. That doesn't usually happen though and by morning I've forgotten what my great idea was! Anyone else have this problem?!
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
mommyofmyne

Post by mommyofmyne »

jamespoet wrote: I used to try and force the whole poem out right then and there, and the poem gets jumbled. Now I keep a small notebook to jot down those lines and feel whole again.
I love this. It is just that true for me too, funny how you have to get something out before you can feel whole again. Well said. Often its a sentence or three and maybe it grows into more but then and there its just relieving...and just that much more stressful when you've got it and nowhere to put it too.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

this always happens to me and i always get so frustrated! haha, ill be talking a walk in the park and something will just hit me and as i scurry to go get a pen and paper, the idea feels like its drifting away from my head! and by the time i finally get a paper out, i either forgot half of it, or i cant write fast and forget the small details of the idea!:/ sad life, dude, haha
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

This is very typical for most, if not all, writers. I have a notebook/pencil in my car, on my nightstand, and in my purse. Sometimes I use my phone. Also, when I'm at work, I've logged onto google drive to jot down notes to refer to later.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Yes, unfortunately. Once it happened while I was on an airplane and I didn't bring any of my writing materials with me. I really wish I had because I had so many thoughts and ideas that I wanted to get down on paper. By the time the flight was over, and I had access to pen and paper, I forgot a lot of those thoughts. It's so frustrating when that happens.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

As other people have said, smartphones have absolutely been my saviour with this.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

Oh goodness this happens so many times! I usually have my phone with me so I'll write it down in my Notes on my phone.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

LOL! Yes, that happens to me too. I try and write it down on either my phone or ipad. I have the app Evernote, so I just jot down my idea and then I've got them all on there to go back to when I have time.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

OH MY GOSH I HATE THAT! Luckily I started using the notes app and it made it so much easier to just jot down quick stories and then later I would expand on what I started. Although at those moments I wish I could have just taken my brain and hooked it up to a machine that would print the story for me. I always forget some details and get frustrated when I can't remember them but it is nice to know I'm not the only one.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison

Return to “Writing Discussion”