When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Post by Doaa Wael »

RILENTLISS wrote:What's up readers! Yesterday I was walking along as a part of my daily business and suddenly I thought about a good idea for a story. Thoughts literally started flooding one after the other, which really doesn't happen often. So, has any one had a similar thing happen? Do great ideas ever make you wish you had a pen or a paper? When do these things seem to happen more or less for you?
For situations like this, it is very helpful to keep a small pocket notebook or download note-taking apps on your phone such as Google keep or jotterpad.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Nowadays mobile is the note book
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Yeah this happens to me quite often normally I will pause everything am doing and then put the idea down on paper. A lot of the times if wait for a favourable time I miss the idea entirely. Thus for writers I don't think any time is ever wrong.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Gifty Naa Akushia wrote:Yeah this happens to me quite often normally I will pause everything am doing and then put the idea down on paper. A lot of the times if wait for a favourable time I miss the idea entirely. Thus for writers I don't think any time is ever wrong.
sometimes it come in dreams and then forgotten when we wake up :(
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Yes BL that is very true.
Salman Waheed
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Salman Waheed »

Yeah, a few days ago, this great idea struck my mind out of nowhere and then I began to think how great a philosopher I was and in the course of this thought I forgot what the real idea was. :lol:

-- 11 Oct 2017, 23:11 --

Yeah, a few days ago, this great idea struck my mind out of nowhere and then I began to think how great a philosopher I was and in the course of this thought I forgot what the real idea was. :lol:
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Yes!! Good ideas are always popping up when I least expect it and usually at a time when I can't do anything about them. Take for example now....I have mid-semesters and this epic idea came to me. I just know that once I put pen to paper I'll never return to studying so I have to put it off. Hopefully when I get back to it, I still have the drive.

On another note, my best ideas come to me in the shower. Does that happen for anyone else? Lol
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

This frequently happens to me in the middle of the night or just as I've settled into bed. I usually type out my thoughts on the Notes app of my phone and then transfer them the following morning. Sometimes, it's an entire plot, or maybe just some dialogue between two of my characters that is just too clever to chance forgetting. A few weeks ago, I was driving home from the store and the specific light and feel of dusk at that particular location took me back to a time in my youth. I felt inspired and wrote an entire poem on my Notes app. iPhones can be quite handy for writers in a pinch!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

That happens often to me. But when I try to remember it later, it does not come to my mind as it was previously. So now what I do is put small notes on my phone then and there
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
pre106-2
Favorite Book: Romeo and Juliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by pre106-2 »

funny enough I get ideas about story lines in my head when am in the bathroom but by the time am out to write, nothing to think of.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Yes, always when I'm into a writing project. Ideas will flow into my head when I'm not prepared- no pen, no journal.
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

This happens to me quite a bit and never when pen and paper can be found. I downloaded a voice recording app on my phone so I can just press "record" and keep my idea until I can write it down later.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I hate it when this happens. I try to take note of the idea on anything I can and then I hope I can remember the details when I return to the note. Most of the time I don't. Then I kick myself for not quitting my job and spending all day at a pub writing the next best YA series like JK Rowling. Ugh...bills.
Spencer Mack
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I always type my ideas/writing prompts on my phone. A lot of my writing is just for me so I normally don't carry a journal with me. It's kind of a bummer though because you can't get the same detail if you revisit it later.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

There's always some sort of story going on inside my head. When I get a particularly good flash, I scrawl it on any available writing material. I sometimes text things to myself so that I don't forget.

Return to “Writing Discussion”