Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » Writing Discussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Unfinished Novels?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published

Unfinished Novels?

Post Number:#1 by cooltodd
» 31 Jan 2007, 07:38

The unfinished novel is the common sign of the aspiring writer. Even established authors often have a collection of unfinished novels.

Do you have any or some? What's it about? Do you plan on finishing it?

Do you find it easier to start a piece of writing than it is to finish it?
cooltodd

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#2 by sleepydumpling
» 01 Feb 2007, 04:22

I have several. I also have two finished ones that I just think are crapola.

I'm not sure I'll ever be an author, but I do have a compulsion to write.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

sleepydumpling

Currently Unfinished

Post Number:#3 by Wicked Betty
» 01 Feb 2007, 17:13

I have one at the moment that has me so befuddled I don't know what to do. GO back and revise, or finish it first. I know it's decent, but at the moment it's in first adn third person, which I know is total crap. i just can't decide if I want in in first or third. Ideas???
Wicked Betty

hmm

Post Number:#4 by SethLeonst
» 07 Feb 2007, 03:55

I have quite a few unfinished novels. Sadly, those have become so confusing they have found their places lost on my hard drive. Don't edit. Just keep writing until its finished.
SethLeonst

Post Number:#5 by msstroda
» 15 Feb 2007, 15:47

I have a number of unfinished novels. I feel they will be wonderful when finished, I just don't seem to be able to find the time to finish them all. :?

To Wicked Betty, pick either/or. Either first or third person. Then it may begin to make sense to you, IMO. :)
msstroda

Unfinished Novels

Post Number:#6 by Toni Stauffer
» 10 Mar 2007, 12:51

I have a few. I plan on finishing all of them. But my priority right now is my novel DYING MOON. I'm trying to finish the rough draft by summer's end because I want to show it to friends at a large convention I'll be attending.
Toni Stauffer

Post Number:#7 by kaytie
» 10 Mar 2007, 19:35

I have an unfinished novel. I started and abandoned it in high school. It was meant to be a fantasy trilogy in which my protagonists would save the kingdom and restore magic to a country that looked like France with Spain chopped off.

Highly original, I know. :roll:

I can still see all the characters clearly in my imagination even though it has been a good 12 years since I last wrote in those pages.
kaytie

Post Number:#8 by Kyle22
» 13 Dec 2007, 07:49

There's probably more unfinished novels in the world than finished ones. It's a shame to put so much work into a novel and then not finish it.
Kyle22

Post Number:#9 by AstonWest
» 14 Dec 2007, 18:46

I have entire directories of unfinished novels and stories in various stages of completion.

Sometimes you just realize partway in that a storyline just won't ever go anywhere.

Sometimes you just don't have enough hours in the day to get to them all...time is precious, and must be used on the work you believe the most in.
AstonWest

Post Number:#10 by Syrcco44
» 29 Mar 2008, 00:33

I have so many unfinished novels, it's not even funny - and the list of novels I have been aspiring to write always grows - why even today I suddenly got a whacking of inspiration and wrote a beginning paragraph for another one of my nonexsistant novel that I have no idea where it will go. I would love to elaborate on it all and tell what I have started but the list is waaay too long. Don't want to bore.

I remember, however, starting a novel around middle school and it was about a slave girl who escapes with her mother to the North - that's been done - a lot. So I dropped it. I still have it though - just for amusement and what not but I have so many other novels that are more important so that's my direction.

Kyle22 wrote: There's probably more unfinished novels in the world than finished ones. It's a shame to put so much work into a novel and then not finish it.

Wow. That's so true. And yes, it is a huge shame to go to all that work and not even finish it. I'm so happy, though because the novel that I started in 7th grade has finally reached it's first draft - so even if I don't get to the final copy it will still be finished one way or another. It hit a huge dormant stage though, and for a long while I thought it died but then I picked it back up again. I think it's worth it to finish one unfinished novel, though - it's a great accomplishment - even if you don't get published.
Syrcco44

Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Unfinished Novels?

Post Number:#11 by Amagine
» 27 Mar 2017, 11:11

Its always easier to begin a story than it is to end it. I have tons of unfinished stories that I keep promising myself that one day, I will return to. Something just always happen right in the middle of the story. I would have my beginning and I'll know the ending but that middle part... That's the reason I can never seem to finish most of my longer stories.
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 687 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#12 by Rebeccaej
» 29 Mar 2017, 09:49

I'm halfway through my second draft, and I'm kinda loosing steam...
Rebeccaej's Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Rebeccaej

Favorite Book: Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by Christina O Phillips
» 12 Apr 2017, 11:59

I have a few unfinished novels not because I lost interest, but because I know I can't edit my own work properly.
Christina O Phillips's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Christina O Phillips

Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1277 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 117%

Post Number:#14 by katiestardis
» 25 Apr 2017, 15:12

I have an unfinished contemporary fairytale that I haven't touched for a couple months. I will get to it eventually. I hit a point where I decided to go back and change the personality of the main character, so it's going to take some work.
katiestardis

Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 338 books
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#15 by katiesquilts
» 25 Apr 2017, 17:46

I used to have a lot more, but after my old computer gave out I lost all but the few I had emailed to myself. I still haven't learned my lesson though... I still don't back anything up unless it's over a few chapters long! I figure if I'm only going to write a few pages and then ignore it for months, I'm not going to make any real progress on it anyways. No big loss if it disappears.
katiesquilts's Latest Review: "30 Minute Body" by Lance McCullough
katiesquilts

Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 572 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Next