Unfinished Novels?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Re: Unfinished Novels?

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

Is it a sign of a procrastinating writer as well to have unfinished novels? I'm embarrassed to admit that I've got a few that need some good attention, but I tend to start new writing projects and then get focused on them for a bit before I move on to the next idea.

I haven't yet found a way to just focus on one and see it through to the end. I find it hard these days to find enough time to spend on my works and when I do . . . I don't have writer's block. I have revision block.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

They are all over the place. Sometimes I get stuck on the very first chapter. Sometimes, I get halfway and dump it. Sometimes, I finish but choose to start again for improvement purposes, and never finish. My mum keeps asking if I've finished any. I have finished a few, but that's if you define finishing as just being done with writing but with a lot of editing to do.
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

I do have some unfinished stories. I want to continue them but I find it hard to continue or finishing up a story rather than starting a new one.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
emersendarco
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by emersendarco »

I have plenty of these. Some I add to when I get a random thought. For the the most part I move on and create a new story, the rest remain unfinished. My first story took three years and 1,060 pages. Since then, I story hop. I try to change then genre but I also end up back at action romance or thriller romance.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have several. One connected to the story that I am determined to finish (I am in the middle of a rewrite), and several others that I am keeping quiet about because I intend to see them finished as well. They all circulate in some way around Romance and I seem to keep falling into the Paranormal scene. I do have one that falls into the Dystopian scene and I plan to work on that one once I am finished with the current series I am writing.

I have not gotten published yet, but it is a dream and a goal.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

Rebeccaej wrote:I'm halfway through my second draft, and I'm kinda loosing steam...
I feel you. I'm 5 chapters into my first novel and losing that spark I had when I started writing it ... love/hate relationship with my work processor right now.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Mashell Chapeyama
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mashell Chapeyama »

O! Yaa, I have a number of unfinished books at different stages of development. Most of these seem complete but they need editing and thorough revision. I am confident they may be published but the issue of poor payment for books in my country has disheartened me. I find more solace in writing articles and material online.
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

I have a number of unfinished works, waiting to be completed. Like toys on a shelf, these works were abandoned because real life got in the way. I try to write everyday, but I can not seem to focus long enough to make noticeable dents. My life goal is finish just one piece of literature.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Leximillion
Currently Reading: A Midsummer Night's Dream
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximillion.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Leximillion »

I have a few, two unfinished from high school and a few from failed NaNoWriMo attempts. I just became uninspired for some reason. :/
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Femisam
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femisam.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Femisam »

Wow! Reading the comments in this section gives me the courage to go back to the series of novels that i have not finished. Knowing that i am not alone in this is quite encouraging. So i think i will have to get back to them and finish them one after the other. The issue with me is that writing may get really boring especially when i am lost of ideas.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I will be having it soon. I'll come back and post about it here ?
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I currently have about 5 unfinished plots. I never finished a whole book in my life, but I'm planning to do so with the book I'm writing now. I only have a quarter of the story left and I'm so excited!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have a problem of being unable to go on with something. So most of my work is unfinished and yet I have no idea what to do with them
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too have a number of stories that I've started just to loose steam and abandon them; I'm that writer that has an idea and then I'm obsessed and writing and writing and writing every second possible and then I falter and that's pretty much it. One series that I really do intend to finish "one day" is stuck at around 17k words; I'm pretty sure it's a mix of writer's block and procrastination and "real life" that have caused that one to grow dust. I also have another that I intend to finish and it too has been just sitting for several years. The first one is the autobiography of a cat (for tweens, I think) and the other is Dope-Dealin' Gran'ma; the latter is written like a Greek novel in that each scene is introduced in rhyme before changing to prose to fill in the action. I'm pretty sure it's under the genre of "satire" and/or "humor".
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Before I switched genres, I tackled a few projects I just couldn't get excited about. One was a zombie tale with a humorous furry bent where the execution was just horrible.

Another was a military scifi taking the idea of the evil empire out to conquer the universe, and placing my main character within that army instead of the rebel force opposing them. That idea fizzled because the campaign they were on was too unorganized in my head to write effectively...it really needed to be developed more before I started the story.

A third one came from a dream about a young woman who survived as a cult sacrifice when she was a child. She's trying to live a normal life as a normal college student, but a series of random crimes brings out the fighter in her. She's frighteningly aggressive when it comes to defending herself and it drags up the past she's been burying, but as that past resurfaces, she finds out the cult isn't as dead and gone as she thought, and her journey leads her to a showdown with the alien entity that's been secretly behind it. This one never made it past the first few pages because I was frankly burned out with scifi.

Return to “Writing Discussion”