Problem with Short Stories

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Vivian Paschal
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
fav_author_id: 2455

Re: Problem with Short Stories

Post by Vivian Paschal » 18 Jun 2017, 02:00

Short stories are a bit difficult for me as well. I tend to create full characters, in the sense that I know every detail about them, even details I may never use in a book. For example, I could have favourite foods for all my characters, with no relevance to the plot. So, I sometimes tend to write more than is needed. I'm learning to cut out unnecessaries, no matter how interesting they are. I'm on my way to being good with short stories. They don't usually end up being short enough, but I make sure they don't get close to the size of a novel. I've written two flash fictions, so I think I'm getting there. I think you should take it a step at a time. Give yourself a number-of-words target and try to keep to it. But try your best never to rush the plot in a bid to keep it short. In all, it can be really tricky, but practice makes perfect.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Sushan
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 170
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Sushan » 19 Jun 2018, 12:47

Short story is a piece of a long story. So you have to omit certain parts. Just write something in a narrative manner. Read Illustrated short stories (Cannot remember the author....Check my Book shelf) to get an idea. I recommend that book to anyone who wants to learn about short story writing
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Writing Discussion”