Do you collaborate when writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Do you collaborate when writing?

Post by moderntimes »

Re. collaborating, I often did this when I was writing an article or news story, and I worked with a photographer. Of course I wrote the story and the photog too the pics but we'd get together on the general scope of the piece and cooperate on the whole thing. And of course split the payout.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
toonenthusiast
Favorite Author: Janet Fitch
Currently Reading: The Bell Jar
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toonenthusiast.html
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
fav_author_id: 3223

Post by toonenthusiast »

I've always written solo but definitely always wanted to check out writing with another person. It brings a new perspective on the story. I'd imagine the process could be really exciting and fun because the other person and I are just tossing ideas around back and forth, getting really hyped about the idea, debated what to do, maybe even arguing if it's intense enough. It would evolve into a real laborious process but it would feel sooo worthwhile in the end. We accomplished something together and I love that idea.
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
desi330
Currently Reading: The Moth Presents All these Wonders
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by desi330 »

No i keep my writimg personal
wmsvensen

Post by wmsvensen »

I usually write solo. I feel like I'd enjoy a collaborative project since I like bouncing ideas back and forth and whatnot, but I've only ever managed to finish one story that way. Everything else fizzled out or crashed and burned because the other authors flaked out or we simply got distracted with our other various life issues and just kinda forgot about it.
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I love to write alone. Once I have finished I like to have someone else give me advice
Drakex1686

Post by Drakex1686 »

I like to collaborate for other peoples views, to make things people could find more relatable than just the knowledge in my crazy mind. I usually like to write alone though, that way you don't have to argue about how things will be.
Ventis
Favorite Author: Eco and Tolkie
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ventis.html

Post by Ventis »

I do both. I write my original short stories, and work on my original novel alone. But I also co-write fanfiction with a good friend. We divided our characters, she writes one guy, I the other two. It has some advantages - the dialogue feels more natural, because we don't know in advance what the other character will say, so they don't say things just for plot reasons. It took some time to synchronize our writing, styles, and learn how to avoid headhopping, but we also have two awesome beta-readers who always tell us if something feels odd. It's been a great writing practice, we both learned a lot.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ventis wrote:I do both. I write my original short stories, and work on my original novel alone. But I also co-write fanfiction with a good friend. We divided our characters, she writes one guy, I the other two. It has some advantages - the dialogue feels more natural, because we don't know in advance what the other character will say, so they don't say things just for plot reasons. It took some time to synchronize our writing, styles, and learn how to avoid headhopping, but we also have two awesome beta-readers who always tell us if something feels odd. It's been a great writing practice, we both learned a lot.
Wow, that's awesome. Can you explain to me what headhopping is?
Ventis
Favorite Author: Eco and Tolkie
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ventis.html

Post by Ventis »

zeldas_lullaby wrote: Wow, that's awesome. Can you explain to me what headhopping is?
Headhopping is the omniscient narrator done bad. It's a sudden change of different POVs within one scene. It can be done, but it's easy to get it wrong and end with jarring, choppy sequences (usually paragraphs) with different POV.

For example, a story is about a girl who's leaving to study abroad, and about her life there. The whole scene about her departure is from his POV. Then, just before the end of the scene, in the middle of a paragraph, there's a sudden switch to the girl's father POV, to show how worried he is and how much he loves her. Then there's another sudden switch to the girl. And then the father is never mentioned again till the end of the story. That's head hopping.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooooooh. OK.

Wow, thanks a lot. that was a great explanation! :-)
bluefrog
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefrog.html

Post by bluefrog »

My dad and I are tying to write a fantasy book together. "Trying" is the key word. We have yet to get past chapter one. He and I are very close (we talk every night) and yet we are also very stuck. We have very different ideas about the world we are building.
Layla_20_20
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla-20-20.html

Post by Layla_20_20 »

:cry: I have always written things on my own and although I went to university and have done a lot of research and read a lot of books written by groups of people I have never been keen on that element. I always feel that reading and writing are a solitary pursuit and one that requires great skill and concentration. I feel that writing is more how one thinks and writes their thoughts on paper. When you collaborate with people there are two basic fears - the first is that they might steal your ideas and pass them off as their own and the second too much criticism can be demoralising.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I prefer to write alone but I have collaborated on a poem with friends. I actually enjoyed the experience so maybe someday I'll consider collaborating in the future with someone.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I never have, but honestly, I think it might be fun to try one day if we could work out the details of any pay that might come from it.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I'm very interested in writing collaboration. But I can't find any friends who are into writing... So I mainly write alone :(

Return to “Writing Discussion”