Does your family blow off your writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Hearty Guy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Does your family blow off your writing?

Post by Hearty Guy »

I know some writers that say close family is their worst audience!
Books+anime+Beatles

Post by Books+anime+Beatles »

That happens to me, unfortunatelly... They didn't even read my books (and they're published)... :( Except my father, who read them and even enjoyed the stories and the writing.
Hearty Guy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

Books+anime+Beatles wrote:That happens to me, unfortunatelly... They didn't even read my books (and they're published)... :( Except my father, who read them and even enjoyed the stories and the writing.
Did you publish e-books or paper publishing?

I'm glad your father enjoyed your writing – that was positive feedback.

Have you ever done any book reviewing here on online book club?
sissybear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sissybear.html

Post by sissybear »

I've been trying to wright a book and my mother has been helping me and is very sportive......
Nusrat_Sultana
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-sultana.html

Post by Nusrat_Sultana »

They did in the beginning. But now that they see I'm serious about it, they support me!
agoodbook03

Post by agoodbook03 »

Mine do. People who don't pursue writing don't understand the process that those who do go through. It helps to present the journey of any writing project to them in a context they can relate to and easily understand. I've seen friends show a non-writer a rough draft of something they had been putting their heart into only to see the devastated look on their face when the person they showed it do looked really confused about what they were reading. They are expecting to see something resembling a book they have read. Someone who is building a car from scratch has already done a lot of the work simply by gathering all the pieces. To an outsider with little understanding of the process it just looks like a pile of junk. Just gotta help them along.
Jasper
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasper.html
Latest Review: "The River Way Home" by Mary E. Dawson
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jasper »

My family thinks of me as strange for doing so. They really don't understand why I like to write, and they consider it more of a joke really, like something they think I'll get bored with in a few years. It's off-putting, but it makes me want to keep going just to prove them wrong. My friends are my biggest supporters, mostly because they all love to read and are constantly looking for something different. I like hearing their opinions about a short story, or rough draft of a chapter I do. Their honest critique shows me that they care, not just looking over my work and saying they liked it.
Latest Review: "The River Way Home" by Mary E. Dawson
InconstantMoon
Favorite Author: Meg Cabot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inconstantmoon.html
fav_author_id: 2593

Post by InconstantMoon »

Even though I come from a family of writers, my mother, I think, is uninterested in what I write because I write teen love stories. I think she takes me less seriously because I don't write what she writes. She never wanted to read my books. "I'll read them when they're published." And then when I let my husband read them, she got upset because she hadn't read them, so I sent one to her, and she hasn't read it....

I consider this behavior "blowing off"
Fallen Apostate
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe
Favorite Book: La Silla del Aguila
Currently Reading: The Games People Play
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fallen-apostate.html
fav_author_id: 4228

Post by Fallen Apostate »

The funny thing about my parents is that they don't visualize the importance of what I've accomplished. For some reason they place importance on what equates instant money. "Mijo why haven't you bought a house or gotten married?" lol, something like that. As far as my friends many do like what my writing but I often feel they are not very good at gaging good quality material.
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
fav_author_id: 6670

Post by deanfromaustralia »

I receive very little support from my family - especially those closest to me - and it has been the cause of some friction.

I feel as though they don't see any validity in what I do and that it is a "hobby".

Friends will ask me about my writing but if I say anything about it, their eyes glaze very quickly.

It has actually caused me some depression and I don't really know how to get them to see it any differently.
"...You think that's air you're breathing now?"
JaneAustenfan

Post by JaneAustenfan »

Most of my family are rather impressed that I write. My mother has a fairly short attention span - she is someone who likes to be on her feet doing things, rather than sitting quietly to read a book or watch television. For this reason, I once gave her a précis of a short story I had written about a burglar whose intended victims turn the tables on him. It has a gruesome end, which made my mother laugh. Usually I share my stories with a close friend who also writes. I value her opinion but I have not told her that I find her work sloppily written!
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

Oh all the time and it tears my heart but i know that it wold just help me in the long run because now that I look back what I though would be a big hit while i was in the process of making it i realize was a total flunk.
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
ewyna34

Post by ewyna34 »

I've been writing off and on since I was in 6th grade. I used to write with paper and pencil much easier to make corrections back then. I can remember my mom telling me that what I was doing was wasting paper. I kept writing but she never saw me do it. Granted I'd have periods of time where I just didn't have the time to write due to school and work, but I still write short stories and I've written several screenplays and even 2 teleplays. They were for the show Supernatural. I never tried to pitch them because in my opinion they weren't tight enough, good enough. I've also had times where I thought my next best idea would finally give me the courage to pitch one only to find out the story wasn't quite there and as I tweaked it...it fell apart.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am particularly shy when it comes to letting any one, especially family read anything I write. My cousin and I often share stories that we are working on and get opinions, no matter how biased. My husband doesn't write but he is kind enough not to judge my writing and knows I love doing it so that is what matters to him, he will read some of what I write on occassion though and he is always nice about it.
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

Hm...most of my family is relatively supportive I guess. They certainly aren't critics, but they don't all take a huge interest in my writing, either. My husband is very interested and supportive, though. He'll also be honest and constructive in his criticism, which I really appreciate.

Return to “Writing Discussion”