Does your family blow off your writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Does your family blow off your writing?

Post by ALynnPowers »

lizj97 wrote:I don't think my family takes me seriously when I say I write for a living. Of course I pay my bills and have money to do things so I must be getting it from someplace right? But to hear them talk, writing is just a hobby that takes up my free time.
Yeah, that's pretty sad to hear. Especially if it is really your career.

My family assumes that because I have written something, that I should be rolling in cash now, since all the authors they know (i.e., JK Rowling, Stephen King) are super rich, and they can't understand why I am not sharing.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:
lizj97 wrote:I don't think my family takes me seriously when I say I write for a living. Of course I pay my bills and have money to do things so I must be getting it from someplace right? But to hear them talk, writing is just a hobby that takes up my free time.
Yeah, that's pretty sad to hear. Especially if it is really your career.

My family assumes that because I have written something, that I should be rolling in cash now, since all the authors they know (i.e., JK Rowling, Stephen King) are super rich, and they can't understand why I am not sharing.
I don't understand where people think writing is so lucrative.
Best selling authors will still have day jobs!
Stephen King, J. K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer...
Their money doesn't even come from their books!
It comes from their books being optioned and, if they have a good entertainment lawyer, from the back end of the movies made (merch, movie tie ins, royalties, ect...).
I have an author whose books are always best sellers, has several releases a year, and only just quite her day job, because...and I quote, "cutting back is worth it for the extra sleep"!
People have no idea...
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Graverobber wrote: I don't understand where people think writing is so lucrative.
Best selling authors will still have day jobs!
Stephen King, J. K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer...
Their money doesn't even come from their books!
It comes from their books being optioned and, if they have a good entertainment lawyer, from the back end of the movies made (merch, movie tie ins, royalties, ect...).
I have an author whose books are always best sellers, has several releases a year, and only just quite her day job, because...and I quote, "cutting back is worth it for the extra sleep"!
People have no idea...
Whoa! Even best-sellers!?!? I had no idea!
I guess I can see how making movies would bring in more money than the books, but still... ARG! How annoying!
Writing is such an under appreciated art these days. :?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

It's very sad that people who bring so much joy and inspire so many can be so underappreciated.

I've read so many author's blogs that it's been like a crash course.
This is an excellent blog to follow for a look at life as an author http://word-whores.blogspot.com/?m=1
It's a different author for each day of the week and it is rather fascinating.
I would recommend it for anyone interested in writing.

And truth be told, many 'best-sellers' support themselves just fine.
But many still need that weekly paycheck to get by.
Especially when you take into account the fact that publishers no longer pay for promotional travel.
For the most part it's all on the authors shoulders.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Well they dont really say anything. . . . I do writing on my own as well as write stories and sometimes publish them earning money. My mom has done literature and sometimes I make her read my really good poems and she appreciates it and motivates me. They aren't crtics, like in a serious sense, though my siblings tease me after reading my work :)

-- 17 Nov 2014, 20:13 --
Graverobber wrote:It's very sad that people who bring so much joy and inspire so many can be so underappreciated.

I've read so many author's blogs that it's been like a crash course.
This is an excellent blog to follow for a look at life as an author http://word-whores.blogspot.com/?m=1
It's a different author for each day of the week and it is rather fascinating.
I would recommend it for anyone interested in writing.

And truth be told, many 'best-sellers' support themselves just fine.
But many still need that weekly paycheck to get by.
Especially when you take into account the fact that publishers no longer pay for promotional travel.
For the most part it's all on the authors shoulders.
I actually agree with you. They need support tooo to continue on and if looking really deep, they are awesome people who have overcome so many criticism to come to this stage.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

My mom is very supportive of my writing.She almost WROTE my plotline.Literally she gives me tons of ideas and listens to my ideas.She is awesome. My relationship between me and my mom is very close.My dad is another story.He doesn't exactly like that I am writing some story and whatever I write I am very afraid of his criticism. My dad has a very pessimistic outlooks on life and sees the world from a different point of view.So my mom supports and is literally my co-author(I'm dedicating my book to her) and my dad not so much(even though he said he wold read it)
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

pretzelsnow wrote:My mom is very supportive of my writing.She almost WROTE my plotline.Literally she gives me tons of ideas and listens to my ideas.She is awesome. My relationship between me and my mom is very close.My dad is another story.He doesn't exactly like that I am writing some story and whatever I write I am very afraid of his criticism. My dad has a very pessimistic outlooks on life and sees the world from a different point of view.So my mom supports and is literally my co-author(I'm dedicating my book to her) and my dad not so much(even though he said he wold read it)
That's great for you that your mom is so supportive!
Your dad sounds like how my dad would be, if he were still alive.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

My family is incredibly supportive.... which is ideal.. but it is also kind of intimidating, haha. It makes me worry that if I don't do well with it... that I am letting them down. It also makes me think their opinions are incredibly biased... haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Skillian wrote:My family is incredibly supportive.... which is ideal.. but it is also kind of intimidating, haha. It makes me worry that if I don't do well with it... that I am letting them down. It also makes me think their opinions are incredibly biased... haha.
I can relate to how you must feel, the same happens with me in my studies and all :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

When I started my family was supportive of my writing. My extended family only found out when I published my first book. I tend to keep things to myself and surprise people with a finished novel. Now I tend to let things slip out, without saying too much. As long as you enjoy and believe in what you are doing, put little stock into what others say, good or bad.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

KS Crooks wrote:When I started my family was supportive of my writing. My extended family only found out when I published my first book. I tend to keep things to myself and surprise people with a finished novel. Now I tend to let things slip out, without saying too much. As long as you enjoy and believe in what you are doing, put little stock into what others say, good or bad.
Thanks for the good advice! I have to remind myself of this! 8)
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

My family has been very supportive. Sometimes they have been a bit too supportive. They keep asking me about how my writing is going, but they talk with me about what I am writing and give me suggestions and discuss any questions I have about how I could do something better. My son and daughter also write and we have brain storming sessions to help each other out if we get stuck.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

Wow! I'm sorry to hear so many people don't have a lot of support from their family!

I don't wish to persue writing as a career in the least, but I have written some very heart felt letters to family members over the years that have been cherished more than I ever imagined they would be.

Because of these letters and how I've helped my family's business by drafting legal documents without any legal experience whatsoever, my family has become incredibly supportive of my writing ability. It's the reason Grandma left me with her "life story" to turn into a novel and screenplay.
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

Honestly, they're too supportive. They keep bragging me up about how good of a writer I am, yet I can't even write a chapter of all the books swirling inside my head.
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

TibbyK wrote:Honestly, they're too supportive. They keep bragging me up about how good of a writer I am, yet I can't even write a chapter of all the books swirling inside my head.
Oh, honey. You'll get there. It just takes time and self-discpline.

Keep a journal of your ideas and dedicate time to elaborating on your concepts.

Allow them to speak into the greatness that you possess.

And believe it.

xoxoxo

Return to “Writing Discussion”