Does your family blow off your writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Does your family blow off your writing?

Post by ALynnPowers »

TibbyK wrote:Honestly, they're too supportive. They keep bragging me up about how good of a writer I am, yet I can't even write a chapter of all the books swirling inside my head.
I have a friend who brags about how great of a writer I am, yet she has read nothing I have written and instead just tries to use me to help her get her books published. She doesn't hesitate to ask me to read her writing, yet she makes no attempts to read what I have written. So annoying!
RaineL
Favorite Author: There are many
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RaineL »

Sadly, my mother has never been very supportive of anything I have done. If she happens to give praise of some sort it is given in some backhanded way. Both her parents were the same way so I chalk it up to that. It is still hurtful though when she does it.

My son on the other hand is five years old and I would say he is my biggest fan. He loves mommy's stories and how he has been incorporated in them.
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

SammieWonder wrote:
TibbyK wrote:Honestly, they're too supportive. They keep bragging me up about how good of a writer I am, yet I can't even write a chapter of all the books swirling inside my head.
Oh, honey. You'll get there. It just takes time and self-discpline.

Keep a journal of your ideas and dedicate time to elaborating on your concepts.

Allow them to speak into the greatness that you possess.

And believe it.

xoxoxo
Thank you(: I've been keeping a record of my thoughts for my stories, hopefully one day it'll be something more. As for now, than you for the encouragement(:

-- 06 Jan 2015, 13:32 --
ALynnPowers wrote:
I have a friend who brags about how great of a writer I am, yet she has read nothing I have written and instead just tries to use me to help her get her books published. She doesn't hesitate to ask me to read her writing, yet she makes no attempts to read what I have written. So annoying!
I don't have a lot of friends who write, but I can see how that could be irritating. Instead of reading them, you could keep putting her off, to let her see how you feel.

Are any of your books published, to where she could have read them? If so, she could feel insecure about her own writing, and really just wants your approval. Sometimes, we have to look at all the details, not just the ones that are evident.
Kellylynn444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellylynn444.html

Post by Kellylynn444 »

I hide my writing from my family until I published my first book. They were all shocked and my mom said she loved it and it made her cry, but I knew they would give me grief if I told them about it before hand.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

My family is very supportive of my writing. My mom keeps saying, "I love your books. You need to find an agent! Find an agent!"

But I'm half-deaf, so it sounds like she's yelling, "Find an Asian! Find an Asian!"
mountaingirl8
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountaingirl8.html
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mountaingirl8 »

Yes, my family won't read my blog because "they are soooo busy." Bull! Reading a blog post takes what...5 minutes, tops? But now that I think about it, I'm not sure I want them to read it, since they are so judgmental. I show it to my husband, and that's enough for me. He's on my side :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:My family is very supportive of my writing. My mom keeps saying, "I love your books. You need to find an agent! Find an agent!"

But I'm half-deaf, so it sounds like she's yelling, "Find an Asian! Find an Asian!"
This cracked me up way too much! 8)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA! :-D
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:My family is very supportive of my writing. My mom keeps saying, "I love your books. You need to find an agent! Find an agent!"

Or, maybe she really is telling you to find an Asian. ;)
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Oh, please, don't make me laugh like that when I have a chest cold!! Oh, horrid. Now I'm hacking up a lung.

Yeah, I'll ask her about that.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

My father is really supportive of my writing. He isn't afraid to say if he doesn't like something, but he gives really good constructive criticism.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

I envy anyone here who has friends and family that actually read their writing! I love my friends and family, but they would rather watch TV then read. I tell them that literature is so much better than the Idiot Box. But what are you gonna do? Most people today spend their lives glommed onto either TV or Facebook.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wanton_Wordsmith wrote:I envy anyone here who has friends and family that actually read their writing! I love my friends and family, but they would rather watch TV then read. I tell them that literature is so much better than the Idiot Box. But what are you gonna do? Most people today spend their lives glommed onto either TV or Facebook.
I have two parents who read my writing, but my sister won't and my brother hasn't. I personally HATE facebook, so I can relate to that!

Since you're on this site now, you can likely find some people here to read your writing!! :-)
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

Thank you, zeldas! Kiss your wonderful parents for me. And I will check out your book, "Forever Twelve." It sounds like an interesting read!
Truthfully, I am a little gun-shy about showing people my writing. When I show people my doggerel, I get shot down like the Red Baron.
But I'll try again. And this time, I'll make sure my life insurance premiums are paid up.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA! Hey, you're welcome! And I'd love for you to check out my book! Let me know what you think of it!

Yeah, you don't have to be gunshy on this web site. Everyone here is really nice. Plus, I can already tell you're at least a good writer (if not better) from your messages on this thread. It seems unlikely that you'd get shot down here, although anything is possible!!

If you want to get your confidence up about this web site, go to the book review page and read a lot of the reviews. Especially read the 1-star reviews, and you'll see right there that you're ahead of the game. You'll come to see where your writing falls (I'd guess 3- or 4-stars out of 4) before you submit anything. (That's for an official review, though. You can also submit stories and poems less officially somewhere on this site.)

Who the heck has been shooting you down, anyway??

Return to “Writing Discussion”