Does your family blow off your writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Melissa-C-Water
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does your family blow off your writing?

Post by Melissa-C-Water »

I found this thread to be an interesting read. Kinda sad at points....
My family were supportive. I kept it secret from most of them until I had my first book published and then surprised my mom with it. My youngest brother found the book on the computer before publication and read it without knowing who wrote it.... and he loved it..which gave me a boost to get it published.
Even extended family have read them and friends have read them. I think the only book that was least read in my family was my memoir. I think only my sister in law read it. I guess thats okay because it was a pretty dark period of my life.
JCunha77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcunha77.html

Post by JCunha77 »

They don't support me at all. I am always told I will be good at anything but my moto is I will prove them wrong. I am going to do what I love.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

My family is actually really supportive and I couldn't be more greatful. They can't really help me with improvements because none of them are huge fans of literature, but they support me in whatever way they can.

They've never made fun of looked down on my aspirations and I'm extremely greatful that that's the case.
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

The family members of mine who don't understand definitely blow me off. Which makes it so difficult to share or to continue writing. The lack of true empathetic support has sent me into rounds of anxiety and depression. It's made me feel self conscious and embarrassed. I almost quit writing. Then I realized I had some power here.

I persevered because my work and my art isn't something I create for other people. It's an organic product I need to get out and whether or not anyone else understands is not my goal.

They still blow off my writing. It just doesn't feel like rejection anymore because I understand now that my work isn't about them or finding support from anyone. My work is about me. And if I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.
torstep

Post by torstep »

For me, I get a lot of talk about supporting me in my writing, but so much actual support. I have 2 young children and a husband who demand a lot of attention. There is no such thing as quiet, me time. My husband would like to support me in my writing, as long as it doesn't interfere with his schedule and wants or create more work for him. This all leads to a very stuck situation, which I'm hoping to find a solution!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

They don't know I write. I have a sort of "combat veteran" attitude about it: no point in telling them, they wouldn't understand anyway.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
P_hernandez

Post by P_hernandez »

It's kind of lonely, isn't it? In some ways I am completely entertained by these made up figures in my head. But in other, different ways, it's isolating when there is no support or when the choice to write forces one to become silent or secret. I also know my family doesn't understand and I'm fine with it. But it does feel lonely sometimes.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Several years ago, my husband came right out and told me I was wasting my time. Man, that crushed me.

I don't want to toot my own horn because there are better writers than me but I did win a spot in "Holding Fire" in 2015 (a short story competition held here at OBC). I received my email saying I won and was so excited. There were ten winners picked. My husband said, "How many entered? Ten?" We later found out that the competition was far stiffer than that and he had to eat crow. Of course, he said it was a joke. Yeah, okay. I'll go with that.

Later on last year, I got a book deal. He hasn't run his mouth about that one. I wonder why. :eusa-think:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
P_hernandez

Post by P_hernandez »

Wow that is awesome! Congrats! On both the book deal and having your husband being served some humble pie lol!
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html

Post by khudecek »

P_hernandez wrote:Wow that is awesome! Congrats! On both the book deal and having your husband being served some humble pie lol!
Thank you. I don't get to serve him humble pie often but this piece was particularly sweet. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
ssunshine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssunshine.html

Post by ssunshine »

My family not only blows off my writing but discounts the knowledge that I hold. It really hurts to know that the people closest to me don't listen to my wisdom.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only person who has a family who doesn't believe writing is a worthy way to spend time. My family thinks I'm wasting my time. No one supports me in it. I quit mentioning it to anyone, because they would just laugh at me. It sucks, and it has made it hard for me to get motivated to write. I haven't worked on any of my novels in almost a year.
NinaMcLove

Post by NinaMcLove »

well not everybody gets my writing so I don't feel that bad when a family member doesn't dig what I write.
just go and try showing your writings to other audiences ;)
Leigh M Lane
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Leigh M Lane »

Most of my family has responded to my writing with disinterest, but few people in my family are avid readers (and most of those who do read are the family's token a-holes). My husband, however, is the first to read everything I write. He's my biggest fan, and he's also a wonderfully critical editor. He is always every bit as responsible for the shape of my later drafts as I am, and his critical but respectful eye makes up for a lot. It would be nice to have a bigger built-in support network, but I'm grateful for the support I have.
Bob Richley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Bob Richley »

I've had just the opposite. My mother has sold my book. I had relatives in Canada whom I never met buy my book. I'm very thankful for family support.

Return to “Writing Discussion”