Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by cooltodd »

I find that most writers, myself included, are generally quiet people, often introverted. They're deep thinkers, but usually tend not to be as much small talkers. This seems kind of ironic, since they talk so much through writing.

Do you find the same? Or not? Are you a writer; do you consider yourself to be quiet? :?:
knightss

Post by knightss »

I'm generally a quiet person, especially if i don't know the person i'm talking to all that well. i'm a little more talkative with my friends... i also talk a lot when i get a few drinks in my system, then it's hard to shut me up lol.
Linda

Post by Linda »

yea im not quiet at all usless i just have no idea who you are...and even then i might start a conversation with you. but def. after everyone drinks they are more willing to put themselves out there and talk. i've heard i get louder lol but when i actually am i the process of writing i find i really rather be by myself. i HATE when people try to look at what im writing.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
awelker

Post by awelker »

im kinda the same way. i am quiet when i am around people that i don't really know or am just meeting for the first time. but when i am at school and around my friends i am a completely different person.
Hybrid.Rainbows

Post by Hybrid.Rainbows »

I'm pretty quite and shy. You really don't hear much out of me, unless you say something that I have to comment about. Or if I'm among friends or alone. I sometimes talk to myself when I'm alone. But, I'm quite sure that the best of us talk to ourselves.
awelker

Post by awelker »

Hybrid.Rainbows wrote:I'm pretty quite and shy. You really don't hear much out of me, unless you say something that I have to comment about. Or if I'm among friends or alone. I sometimes talk to myself when I'm alone. But, I'm quite sure that the best of us talk to ourselves.
i talk to myself a lot too. i don't really mean to but when i realize that i am doing it i stop. My mom always says that when you talk to yourself you get intelligent answers
Hybrid.Rainbows

Post by Hybrid.Rainbows »

Haha, well, I suppose that could be true. When I realize that I'm talking to myself, I tend to talk to myself about how weird it is and on and on. I'm sure it would be rather amusing to listen to me.
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I am definitely not quiet. In fact, the majority of my friends put my name down first on anything that says Which of your friends in the loudest? Most outgoing? Funniest? etc.

And I've even been known to have 3-sided arguments with myself. It can be funny. I tend to do it at work a lot. There are days when I'm working completely by myself. I've done a lot of writing that way. My own story Dream Girl was written entirely in my head by the time I got home from work. The only part I added later was the epilogue. But I spoke out loud, like I was reading the story to someone.
awelker

Post by awelker »

DuchessAngel37 wrote:I am definitely not quiet. In fact, the majority of my friends put my name down first on anything that says Which of your friends in the loudest? Most outgoing? Funniest? etc.

And I've even been known to have 3-sided arguments with myself. It can be funny. I tend to do it at work a lot. There are days when I'm working completely by myself. I've done a lot of writing that way. My own story Dream Girl was written entirely in my head by the time I got home from work. The only part I added later was the epilogue. But I spoke out loud, like I was reading the story to someone.
ROFL!!! This sounds like something i would do. I tend to daydream a lot. Perticularly about things that i would wish would happen. i don't know. my mom calls me weird and laughs at me when she catches me doing it.
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

I think a lot of writers are the quiet type, because they like to think about what they say. They choose their words carefully.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Lol! Dude! I feel like I'm on an island by myself here in this thread! haha :lol:
Umm, for the most part I'm not quiet, I'll approach most people. I like to talk, what can one say. The only time I'm quiet is when I'm sleeping, writing and reading. Other than that I'm pretty vocal, lol....I sing all the freakin time, I'm always laughing, even when I'm depressed I'm laughing :oops:. I joke ALL the time! Some people mistake it for flirting :shock: I just like pullin your chains...jerk'em if necessary :wink:
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I'm the same as you Star. I'm always bubbly and outgoing and extroverted. My ex called it "child-like". And I'm bubbliest when I'm talking about my writing.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

sleepydumpling wrote:I'm the same as you Star. I'm always bubbly and outgoing and extroverted. My ex called it "child-like". And I'm bubbliest when I'm talking about my writing.
I love you!! That is great! "child-like" works for me! I'm always bubbling over..I'm like a overly zealous tea pot! :D I swear I go around with this silly grin on my face everywhere!
I try to find happiness in everything, even when I'm hurting or sad I usually poke fun at myself...my dad calls me "Pollyanna" :D Ahh! the "Glad Game!" I love that book by the way lol :D But humor sometimes is the best remedy for life's frequent pangs :wink:
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I remember the ex and I talking about the difference between child-like and childish. I am the former, not the latter. And quite proud to be child-like.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

sleepydumpling wrote:I remember the ex and I talking about the difference between child-like and childish. I am the former, not the latter. And quite proud to be child-like.
Me too :D Peter Pan :wink:

Return to “Writing Discussion”