Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RC Bonitz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by RC Bonitz »

Yeah, i tend to be an introvert at least when i talk about my books. That of course does me no good. I know a few extroverted writers and they've made the bestseller lists. I'm working on it though. :-)
rockclimber300
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by rockclimber300 »

Well, I consider myself a writer of sorts, (though I by no means have anything published) but I'm pretty sure I'm not very quiet. I'm not so loud and outgoing that I can introduce myself to random people at will, but I make friends relatively easily, I'm often goofy and loud, and I like to fool around with people a lot. Yeah, I'm not very quiet... :P
VictoriaR
Currently Reading: Thrones, Dominations
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by VictoriaR »

Just remembered one of my favorite quotes: Kurt Vonnegut said something like: most novelists drag themselves around in society like gutshot bears.
It's true at least in my case. Everything I say is a first draft, I really want to take it back and revise.
ReyElden9817
Favorite Author: Kathy Reichs
Currently Reading: Natchez Burning
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyelden9817.html
fav_author_id: 5994

Post by ReyElden9817 »

I am a writer but I am not quiet, well not when I am around friends.. They always want to talk and sometimes it gets annoying. I'm a deep thinker like most of you. I dwell on about a number of things and they just disrupt my thoughts. When I'm off to myself most of the time, they think something is wrong. But when I'm home or out in public, I'm very quiet.
Andreaj1911
Currently Reading: Big Little Lies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreaj1911.html

Post by Andreaj1911 »

I am a quiet writer even to the point of being antisocial sometimes! It does make me worry when books I read on 'how to' write short stories etc say that you need to be a naturally nosey, inquisitive, people person.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

Something I've always confused was intro/extroversion and being shy or outgoing. I'm outgoing but I'm quiet. I'm a leader but I prefer to work alone.

So through talking with a friend I learned that these are different traits not contradictions. I'm introverted (I prefer to be alone, I prefer quiet) but I'm outgoing (not shy, take charge, etc).

I think you have to have enough introversion to dwell on your ideas until they're fully cooked and also to work alone writing, but you do need enough outgoing-ness to put your work out there.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I usually take my cues from the company in which I find myself, but generally speaking I tend to be an open book where my thoughts and feelings are concerned. As a result I have never felt comfortable with people who appear very reserved in their speech or display reticence in their demeanor. I always get the feeling that they do not trust me enough to "open up". I realize this may be only an initial shyness on their part and I am always willing to ratchet up the familiarity if and when they appear to be thawing out.

So to answer the question: among people who are open and display a gregarious nature I tend to reciprocate in kind, and among people who are more reserved I display a more formal side of my personality that can be described as "quiet".
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
craglejosh

Post by craglejosh »

I definitely fall into this category. On the myers-briggs personality tests I typically get INTJ, with 100% introvert. I am typically pretty terrible at small talk as well.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

craglejosh wrote:I definitely fall into this category. On the myers-briggs personality tests I typically get INTJ, with 100% introvert. I am typically pretty terrible at small talk as well.
I get the exact same result.

-- 01 Dec 2015, 14:22 --

Also small talk is torture.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I'd consider myself a quiet person and introvert unless i'm with my family and friends then i'm a crazy ball of enegery but 80% of the time i'm a quiet person and I like to think about things a lot and analyse things.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Clayton Williamson

Post by Clayton Williamson »

Depends on my surroundings, like most people. If I'm comfortable I have no qualms with being a ham. Telling jokes in person is a different type of thrill then telling jokes on paper.

I will agree that being child-like is an invaluable quality for a writer. It is far too easy to lose curiosity and wonder as we get older. Glad to see so many of you stay true to yourselves!
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I do tend to get extremely quiet when I am surrounded by two or more persons, even if I'm with one friend I would prefer to just listen. Sometimes people actually see that as being arrogant :D
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
Gerald Chukwu
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Gerald Chukwu »

I'm a very quiet introverted individual who gets hurt easily. I love to think, to reason, to analyze, to study, to reflect. I think I have one of the strongest imagination in the world. All I have enumerated are ingredients of what makes somebody a quiet person. However I'm talkative only when sharing ideas and when I find a discussion or topic very educative and interesting.
pauljeday
Publishing Contest Votes: 25

Post by pauljeday »

Hell no. I'm the life of the party and very loud, although, as I get older, my body won't let me be so full on. lol
MyBrokeCollegeLife
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mybrokecollegelife.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by MyBrokeCollegeLife »

I am a very quite person when I don't know someone well. Often even with my friends I only say about 60% of what I'm thinking. I guess with writing I am crafting a world I have created, I have complete control and know exactly what I want my readers reaction to be. In a typical conversation people rarely have something to say, it's more casual and I find it difficult to know what to contribute.

Return to “Writing Discussion”