Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by rssllue »

:eusa-think: :shhh: :roll2:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
JadePhenix
Favorite Author: Poe
Currently Reading: the wife, the maid, and the mistress
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadephenix.html

Post by JadePhenix »

I am most definitely a quiet person. Not only am I quiet, I crave silence. There are times, my own voice makes my ears hurt. Luckily, I'm married to someone who loves silence as much as I do. I think I have so much internal noise and chaos that even minimal external noise can be too overwhelming for me.
Eustacia Tan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by Eustacia Tan »

I am definitely not the quiet sort (at least in the long term). I may be quiet the first time I meet someone, especially if I have a book, but once I get to know someone.... I never stop talking. A senior once observed that a conversation between me and a friend was about 80% of me talking (which I'm aware is a terrible thing and I'm trying to correct).

While I don't know that many writers, there was one person who was generally thought of to be a good writer in my social group - she was extremely quiet in real life, but quite outspoken on social media.

I wonder if the medium also influences things? I tend to be noisy all the time, but I know people who will switch according to whether they are online or offline.
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

I've been quiet all my life, except when I write. People used to think there was something wrong with me because I would never talk. Really though I'm just one of those kinds of people who prefers to live in their heads rather than out in the physical world. I might not have said much verbally but when I would write a poem or a short story I would say a lot. Hell, the first time I wrote a full page (I was like eight years old or so) my teacher looked at me stunned, as though she couldn't believe someone who says so little could know so much. To this day I am still really quiet and very much talkative on paper. After all do you think I could say this much if we met in person?
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
JanDem21
Currently Reading: Slow Burn Torrent #5
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jandem21.html

Post by JanDem21 »

Yup, I rather read than talk to people.
Lycaonia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lycaonia »

I think there is a bit of a psychology behind that. An extroverted writer would be a rare find, as writing takes long periods of sitting alone, reading, editing, and planning. Extroverts may find all that alone time frustrating, or they'd stop one book before it's finished to start another. Introverts thrive in quite environments, and writing is so much different from actually talking, that it allows introverts to thrive. No small talk, all business.
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Post by BookHipster »

This question is asked with the common misconception that introvert means quiet. There are actually many introverts that are not quiet at all. Introvert just means after socializing the person needs to be alone for some time to recharge. (Extroverts get their energy from others. There can be quiet extroverts).

That being said, I'm a writer, I'm an introvert, but I'm not all the times quiet and shy. To my close friends I can talk their ear off, but to strangers I am very quiet. I hate small talk and am terrible at it, so if you ask me "how are you?" I will probably go into a long conversation about how I'm feeling rather sad that day because of the rainy weather etc. Put me in front of a computer however and I can't stop typing. Most times I say too much, not knowing when to stop and where I should stop in delving personal information.

I agree with what a lot of people have said. Most writers will be introverted since writing is something done alone. But that doesn't mean they are "quiet."
Mille
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mille.html

Post by Mille »

I am definitely an introvert and quiet in nature. I think you stated it perfectly; quiet people absorb and observe the world around them and filter it through their writing.
KatherineEWall
Currently Reading: What We All Have
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherineewall.html

Post by KatherineEWall »

I am gregarious at work. It is where I appear to be an extrovert, but after I am done, I can't wait to get the quiet of my home. I need my quiet time to recharge.

I guess then, I am a hybrid. I fuel up on introspective and quiet, but I run efficiently when dealing with others.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I don`t want to call myself i writer even if i do write stories. But as i only write them for myself and not for other people. I don`t know if it would be correct of me to say that i am a writer as i do not make a living of it and have no interest in making a living of being a writer. I just write as a hobby for myself but i am a quiet person.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
KatherineEWall
Currently Reading: What We All Have
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherineewall.html

Post by KatherineEWall »

Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:I don`t want to call myself i writer even if i do write stories. But as i only write them for myself and not for other people. I don`t know if it would be correct of me to say that i am a writer as i do not make a living of it and have no interest in making a living of being a writer. I just write as a hobby for myself but i am a quiet person.
Of course you are a writer. Consider this: if you play golf for the fun of it, with no intention of going pro, are you a golfer? Of course you are. A writer is someone who uses their imagination coupled with words and creates something new, something which has never existed before.

The intrinsic value of writing far outweighs any potential income.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I guess my personality changes. I used to be super outgoing in high school but I was still a writer. Lately, I've lost a lot of my outgoing side for m=many personal reasons and I'm VERY quiet. Sometimes when I'm with a really close group of friends, I would probably be the one to speak the most and I would probably be the most energetic one out of them all (sometimes a little too energetic).
StainedGlassTiger3

Post by StainedGlassTiger3 »

I'm usually very quiet, and always so introverted that I can be emotionally drained by listening to talk radio for to long.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I'm definitely an introvert, and that is perhaps why I feel the need to write. I have so much to say, so much to inform, but I know I can't say all those things through speech, I NEED to write.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
joefowler
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by joefowler »

I would be happiest if I didn't need to speak at all. I have always been quiet. Maybe I'm just weird.

Return to “Writing Discussion”