Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by eastandalchemy »

I had a lot of extroverted-type jobs before becoming a full-time writer. I have no idea how I lasted so long in the corporate world because I am an introvert to the core! I feel that the quiet ones are often the most observant, which would make perfect sense that writers fall into that category. I've also noticed that many writers, myself included, shy away from small talk but could sit and discuss books, theory, and certain subjects for hours when in the right company.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I am a person who thinks deeply, is constantly observing my surrounds and keeping notes for my writing. However, I am not a quiet person. I am loud and funny and love to make people laugh. So i have to disagree that writers are all quiet. I am definitely an exception to this.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I can be a quiet person. Though I tend to thrive better when I am out there doing something with others. My wife and I have volunteered as interpretive hosts at the state parks here in Oregon, we have also volunteered at the Hatfield Science Center in Newport. I realize that when I have spent an afternoon introducing people, mostly children to the marine life that lives off our coast, I seem to have a strong sense of satisfaction. When I am actively writing however, I prefer to keep my head down and focus on the story that is developing on the screen or page in front of me. That too is an adventure that keeps me satisfied. So, to answer the question above I guess my response would have to be ... sometimes. As for others, I do not know.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

It's stereotypical that writers are introverted and think by themselves a lot.
I'm a quiet person and I've yet to find someone who breaks this stereotype haha.
DrequaB_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DrequaB_1 »

Yes. I am quite around strangers and even towards my family sometimes. I don't know how to use this website. Can someone please help me?
Ericq7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ericq7 »

Yes I am quite and keep to myself all the time.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Although I can be quiet at times, I would say I'm quite talkative and I know how to carry a discussion. I just become quiet or introverted when I'm in large groups where I don't know a lot of people, in that case I step back and I let others do the talking.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Writers are imaginers. I have known many writers and all of them are not near quiet. They always have lots of words spewing from their lips in description for a simple item. They are just so loquacious and never quiet I must say
Sarah Morse
Currently Reading: The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-morse.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah Morse »

On the outside, yeah I’m extremely quiet and introverted. I’m a 5 on the Enneagram, meaning that I’m much more of an observer. I prefer to respectfully listen to conversations rather than participate in them. Occasionally I would chime in when I’m talking with my friends about something I’m especially passionate about, like books for example, but otherwise I’m kind of just there with an occasional smile or laugh as I take in the words being said.
Inside my head, however, the words never seem to stop coming. I’m a regular chatterbox when I’m having private conversations with myself. Of course, that’s not always helpful when I’m just trying to get some writing done.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I am pretty quiet, but I don't believe that most writers are quiet. They can be pretty varied, loud and quiet, or even loud only with things they like.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I am very quiet, especially in public. I've always been introverted. Not exactly the life of the party. I'll be the guy in the corner no one notices. Even as a kid, I preferred my own company. I like to stay in a lot and my hobbies involve feeding the mind. Reading, observing, gaming, listening. Not to say I'm completely anti-social. I'd make all the time in the world for the right person. I think part of what makes writers do what we do is the need to express ourselves in a way that's easier than being socially outward. I'm sort of tied between saying very little unless it's important and spouting randomly when something that comes to mind is amusing. As you can see with this monologue, I can pour written words out. In person, you're gonna get a grumble and me daydreaming.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

It kind of depends on whether or not I’m comfortable around a person. I’m generally quiet and shy when you first meet me but after while you’ll realize I’m quite dramatic 😂

I think most writers and readers are quiet but it’s probably all circumstantial. I think quiet people tend to have more complex personalities.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

That's an interesting question because I don't think I'm quiet at all. If asked whether I would be quiet if I had the choice, though, the answer would be yes. I think I've adapted to the fact that the world requires us to be an active, vocal participant to be liked and listened to. But I do think that I am most comfortable when I am quiet and with my own thoughts.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Yes, I am a quiet person. Introverted, also. I think quite people are introspective, and being introspective could turn you into a good writer. But just because you are quiet does not mean you are a good writer. Same thing goes to loud people and people in-between.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

When I am around people, I learn through listening. In a group or crowd I tend to be quiet and listen. I am more open when it is one on one. It depends on who you ask: some people see me as quiet, others say I am a very expressive person.

Return to “Writing Discussion”