How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
WinterCandyMints
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Ever since I was able to form letters. I have old drawings with random words and pictures stapled together that are supposed to be books. I have little "stories" I've written throughout my life. It's like watching a slow transformation.
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

I've been writing for close to 5 years. A forum similar to this one got me started, although it was not a "reading" forum, just a community forum. Somone started a thread titled, "Let's write a novel", and posted the first paragraph. I joined in and fell in love with taking the story in different directions. Finally I decided to stop wasting my time on the forum and wrote my first novel.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I am a juvenile writer who now has about a hundred ideas in my head for my historical novels! I started writing to express myself and as I said I am a beginner.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I've been writing for about an hour today. :lol:
VolkodavKO

Post by VolkodavKO »

At least 15 years.
sirspray
Favorite Author: Christopher Nolan
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading: Reading plus answers

Post by sirspray »

since school? i can't recall when i started using it as a source of income but id imagine the official start date was school.
normafloresallende
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normafloresallende.html

Post by normafloresallende »

Since my childhood. But writing "seriously" came very recently. About 6 six years ago.
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Post by dancing with hugo »

I consider myself a writer just because I write, but not an author. Had only one story published in a local periodical. I started reading when I was only four years old, so the Dick and Jane books obviously were a bore to me when I started grammar school. By 3rd grade I was writing my own little story books, complete with my ineptly executed illustrations. And so it has continued sporadically throughout my seven decades (minus the illustrations, which never got any better). I'm writing again to try to make sense of my life at this exalted age.
Lady1934
Favorite Author: Gene Stratton Porter
Favorite Book: Girl of the Limberlost
Currently Reading: The Dimension Travel Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by Lady1934 »

I began writing short stories in my early teens. My cousin and I began doing it to entertain each other. She pushed the envelope as I wouldn't have had the confidence to do so alone. I have been writing poetry since the mid fifties, subsidy published a book of original poetry in 1977-78 time frame. Wrote my first novel in 1990, but only published it in 2012. Am presently working on a sequel. So yes, I consider myself a poet and a writer.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The short answer: ever since I got my laptop back in 2012. But up until now, I've never been committed enough to see any of my work through. But I'm not getting younger and this year I am (very much) finishing my first novel. I ignore writer's block completely and myself to write 1000 words every day, no matter what!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I do consider myself a writer. I write a little bit everyday. I started writing when I started keeping an "idea journal". I was 14 at that time.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
DrummerDancer

Post by DrummerDancer »

I've been writing for a couple of years now.
mfontneaux

Post by mfontneaux »

I only recently began considering myself an author, which to me means a writer who has published. I published my first Kindle book last month. My second this month. Before that, I was a writer.

Writing has been a joy for me since I learned how. One of my vivid memories from childhood is having my teacher confiscate the story I was writing (when I should have been paying attention in class), then returning it to me the next day because she wanted to know what happened next.
desi330
Currently Reading: The Moth Presents All these Wonders
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by desi330 »

Since 13
aanya_9
Favorite Author: Elinor Brent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aanya-9.html

Post by aanya_9 »

Oh I've been writing since i was a little kid. It started with letters for my family and friends, then childhood plays for us kiddos and then poetry and diary. And now I've been working on a book I so long to complete.

Return to “Writing Discussion”