How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by sammi8764 »

It was at least during third grade. I remember in my yearbook my teacher wrote that she hoped to see a novel from me in the future. I've always loved writing.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

Yes, I consider myself a writer. I've been writing since I was a kid...I had quite the overactive imagination. I'm pretty sure it's because I was always very shy and a little awkward, so I turned to reading and writing...most art in general really.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
Butterflycrying
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflycrying.html

Post by Butterflycrying »

I started writing for school and published my Non-Fiction book based off of my Master's Thesis. I started writing non-fiction about 9 months ago.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

Do you consider yourself a writer?

Yes, I have my own music blog where I write album reviews, concert reviews, bands to watch, among other things.

I have been writing for a little over a year now.

What got you started?

I applied to a music promotion company in my city where they promoted bands through music reviews, they told me about it, and I have been with them for about a year and a half now.
volpe-rossa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-volpe-rossa.html

Post by volpe-rossa »

I consider myself a writer, yes. I've written one novel-length story as well as many, many collaborative stories with other people on message-board RPGs. I've been writing in those since I was 13, and started my personal story at age 15-16.
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

I've wanted to write for a while now, I'm just a bit too nervous to start..
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I actually started writing when I was around ten. I definitely think reading was the biggest think that inspired me. As my reading tastes and preferences have developed, so has what I like writing about.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I've been a writer for as long as I can remember. It's only recently though that I've thought about doing it more professionally and really working to finish things that I work on. I started participating in NANOWRIMO a couple years ago and fell in with a great group of writers in my area. We all help each other out and encourage each other which is really great. I don't even remember why I started writing though. I've just always kind of had stories in my head and written them down.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Tseve87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tseve87.html

Post by Tseve87 »

personally I do call myself a writer I have been doing it since I was 13 years old and I am currently working on my bachelors degree in English to improve my knowledge of writing and looking into finding writing jobs. my two favorite pass times is reading and writing considering I have been writing for 13 years I am glad that I found that I love writing in eighth grade.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I do consider myself a writer and I have since I was a child. I remember writing my first story in the fifth grade for a required homework assignment and it was a big hit. I realized then that I enjoyed it tremendously and have spent a good chunk of my time since then writing. I'd love to author a novel one day but I'm not jumping too far ahead of myself. I don't just want to publish something, I want to publish something amazing.
Tseve87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tseve87.html

Post by Tseve87 »

Yeah I feel that way too. I think that is why I have a lot of stories unfinished because I want it to be a great and amazing story and I do not want to rush it. There are a few other things involving writing I can do while I write my stories.
novemberdays14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novemberdays14.html

Post by novemberdays14 »

I have been writing for about a year now and I love it. I am just in this stage where I am trying to soak up all the writing advice and experience that I can.
ac9726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ac9726.html

Post by ac9726 »

I have been writing for 8 years now and im only 17! What got me started was not finding the books that I wanted to read so I decided to write them.
bethdearie
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethdearie.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by bethdearie »

Do you consider yourself a writer?
Absolutely I do.

I have been writing since I first learned how to write, about age four. I first wrote what I love, fiction, when I was fifteen.

What got you started?
I found the inspiration to write from watching my favourite show at the time, Charmed.
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

I remember writing when I was in elementary school. I had the longest story for a contest even back then. The only thing I can think of that inspired me to start writing back then was that I loved to read even back then. But what really got me started with writing happened in middle school. At my middle school we had a book club and at one of the meetings one of the teachers read some stuff that he had wrote then he asked us if any of us wrote. Several of the people around me raised their hand. That question was important to me because it made me realize that this is something that I could do too. And even though I had wrote stories before and probably had wrote in a journal before that this day made it clear to me this was something I would like to do. So I kept a journal, starting taking writing classes after high school, and now am in college going for my Bachelor's in English with Creative Writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”