How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by echoesofmj »

Honestly, I think I have been writing for so long. If I remember right, the first "official story" that I created, I was about nine years old.

As far as I can remember, I have always been fascinated with books and how they take you places that you can't always take yourself to.

However, I don't think I truly considered myself a writer until I was older. I really got into writing in my teens, perhaps seventeen-ish and I still am so far. I don't think I would ever be able to stop writing. There's some kind of... compulsion to write.

Even though I have never actually published a book, I still consider myself a writer. Of course, it is not professionally or anything, but it is a passion, and it is a passion that runs very, very deep. If I could live off that, I definitely would. I just don't have the courage to actually send a manuscript.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

This year, I continued 5 years of writing and I felt like so much time has passed! It only seems like yesterday that I started writing short extracts just to get my hands used to writng. I was 16 years old at the time.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I started writing in 2010 and haven't stopped since. I began with journaling, then eventually wrote my own books. (How that started is another story.)
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
MedleyLORE
Favorite Book: A Killer's Mind
Currently Reading: A River in Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MedleyLORE »

I’ve been writing for about five years now. I don’t think im any good but I still have posted a little less than a hand full of pages with my dreams and flared ideas. I enjoy writing. It’s like therapy for now. A rough day? Yeah. Lay in bed for a little before I let the words spill on to the endless canvas of words. I started because I was getting obsessed with one line of contemplation but not many people had the same feeling as one of my favourite writers did. So I thought, ‘Why not make the characters act and feel the way I would or the way anyone would have?’
I might be a control freak from this new revelation. Hahaha
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Am I a writer ? Perhaps. I write often and feel passionate about my work but I'm not yet published.
When did I start? I started writing books and developing characters somewhere around age 9 or 10.
What got me started? The excitement of creating something new. I suppose it's the same of my love of drawing.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by russel_ruth »

I've always loved reading~ it was amazing to see how people wove words and brought their ideas into flesh.

I attempted to write fanfiction before of a beloved anime and never found myself in a good spot. Last year I started my own fantasy story and I think it's going well ^^ I'm learning more when I write
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

If you asked 8-16 year old me, I would have said, "Heck yes!" I had journals filled with characters and descriptions, scenes, settings, and years. Then I would write out the stories. Mostly short stories. One year, I was like what's the point? And I put them all through the shredder. Silly, silly, girl.

However, I've always had stories floating around in mybhead, and I do remember most of what I wrote in my teen years. Recently, I came up with a setting, characters, and a plot. And I wrote it down. Once, it's done, I want to publish it! Probably do that myself.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I have been a reviewer for about half a year, and I thing writing reviews is not not just a job but is a hobby.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BeingTheWriter »

Oh wow, I've been writing I know for sure since I was ten. And now, over 20 years later, I'm still writing! One day I hope, everyone here will be reading and reviewing and talking about one of my books ;)
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I feel as though I may have actually been born with a pencil (crayon?) in my hand because I honestly cannot recall a time that I have not been in the middle of writing SOMEthing. Now I'm in a band, so much of my writing is geared towards songs - 50 or so in various stages of completion, at this point - but I also have one children's story in the works (about 20k words at this point!) that will probably end up a series because it's way too long for just one book. I also have a satire book in the works. My problem is actually FINISHING! Both of these stories are at least 7 years old and I haven't touched them in at least 3 years. Thank goodness songs are short, ha-ha!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I consider myself a writer though unpublished yet. I started writing when I was 10. I started basically because being an introvert I'm very introspective so I decided to put down some of the things I create in my mind.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I think since Junior high though I could never really finish a project. I took advantage of a few class assignments in high school to write short stories, and after college in the late 90s I had fun writing screenplays. I put up a silly, but popular serial on a popular message board about the turn of the century, that I'll see still gets bumped every once in a while. I started writing to sell on Amazon at the end of 2014 and have been producing ever since.
Sheherezade Esa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheherezade Esa »

I've been scribbling since I was a toddler. I enjoyed putting my feelings and thoughts down on paper instead of them swirling around my overcrowded mind. Sweet release.

Two years ago I started submitting pieces to a literacy trust's mobi reading community website (removed by mod) (because I felt I could do better than the other writers :mrgreen2:). I have since progressed to their pool of commissioned writers and now receive payment for my scribbling. This has inspired me to improve and hone my craft so that I may, in the not too distant future, write and successfully publish my first novel. I have several titles, already with story ideas and broad plot and them angles in my 'New titles' folder on my phone. I do all my writing on my smartphone! :shock:

Wish me luck and all the best to everyone with their writing projects.

With warm regards
Sheherezade (Cher heh rer zaad)
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I consider myself a writer, sure. A good writer, maybe. That is the real question. Right now in one of my novels I have written over two-hundred pages. In another novel roughly fifty, and some other short stories. I would love to finish my novels soon, but only if time allows me to.
Europeandescent1
Favorite Book: How to win friends and influence people
Currently Reading: The Coronation (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Europeandescent1 »

As a child I remember writing very poetic and personal Birthday and New Year cards. As an adult, I kept a lot of notes about feelings, people and events, but did not really plan to turn them into a book.

At some point that all changed. Love Is Never Past Tense was originally written in Russian, then translated in English in 2011. As for the future, I am not quite ready to share...

Janna Yeshanova

Return to “Writing Discussion”