Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by raikyuu »

I learned to creatively write on a computer, and it's a huge improvement for me. Writing on pen and paper can't keep up with my fleeting thoughts.
-rk
Sherry Terry
Currently Reading: A Gentleman&rsquo;s Game
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sherry Terry »

Always. I am a horrible speller, so thank God for spellcheck. My handwriting is horrible, and I can type faster and better than writing with pen and paper.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I use the computer to type up what I already written down on paper. I just feel more comfortable writing long hand.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Sherry Terry wrote:Always. I am a horrible speller, so thank God for spellcheck. My handwriting is horrible, and I can type faster and better than writing with pen and paper.
I usually ignore spell-checking until I would proofread my work.
-rk
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I use both my phone and computer. I would prefer the computer because of typing speed and the 40" screen.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I'm obsessed with notebooks/pens/all school supplies, so I like to write it out. It depends on what stage I'm in though. Like brainstorming is pretty much always done on paper. I'll organize it on a computer later but I like to be able to flip around, draw things, not worry about spelling and grammar errors, etc. It's just more freedom. I also love not having the backspace key so I don't second-guess myself. If I'm trying to write the actual book though, it's almost always on the computer. There might be snippets done in a notebook, but that's about it.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Amagine wrote:I use the computer to type up what I already written down on paper. I just feel more comfortable writing long hand.
I do the same thing. Writing out on paper also helps me to stay focused during that early brainstorming phase.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I note down points on my phone. Final edit is on my laptop.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Normally when idea pops in my mind I just look for the nearest available writing tools then I write but I prefer typing more because it saves you time.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

If I'm going to write a letter to a family member or friend, I prefer doing it by hand. I believe it seems more personal. :D
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

Most people do, it is easy to change mistakes by not doing everything over again
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I'm all about the computer. I used to looooooove writing in notebooks (I still have a couple from high school) but my mother would always go through and read the stories which made me so uncomfortable so I switched to my laptop to rid my work of her nosiness.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

It varies. I use the computer often because that's a main means of communication and to avoid all the paper I would have to buy. I've had to move a lot so it's much easier to keep it all the documents on an external hard drive. I type pretty fast so it's not a hassle. Spellcheckers are amazing and I can't imagine a world without the convenience.

I leave traditional handwriting to notes, cards, artistic stuff, and if I don't have a device nearby. I'm fairly fast and I usually don't have to look at the page while writing (thanks to teachers who didn't want to wait for students to take notes and figure drawing).

I try to keep from getting rusty because I've been in the situation where I needed to write out (oh so many) many pages. There is nothing like the sensation of fire embers between your knuckles and joints the next day because you're hands are out of shape.

I'm really pleased that tablets and phones have a stylus and pressure feature for digital/handwriting drawing now. One less thing to carry and, as eelavahs-jay mentioned, easier to avoid nosy people who don't know the meaning of privacy.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I prefer typing over writing since my handwriting is not that good and more importantly I am bit lazy to write
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kgloving
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kgloving »

Writing directly onto any computing device allows me to rewrite and rewrite. Typing on a keyboard feels like I'm playing a piano, which helps to create a sort of flow while writing. I find myself listening for the right words. But that is only if it's going well. When it isn't, I revert to writing on a yellow pad with an inky pen until my hand hurts. The yellow seems to spark ideas.

Return to “Writing Discussion”