Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by karolinka »

Not always! Is I am in a cafe, then yes, I will use a computer. But I find that I have better ideas when I use just an old notebook and pen. My ideas just seem to flow better this old-fashioned way. Sometimes, I'll write it on paper then transfer to the computer later, that works too.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

I write 80% of the story on my phone. I find it really tiresome to open my PC and sit with it to write down the words. I prefer using my phone instead. Whenever I'm stung by an idea, I open up Jotterpad (An Android App) and write it down.
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
Braktooth
Currently Reading: I'm Tired Of Racism
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

I can't play with ideas on the computer. I need to use a pen for that. The actual writing I do on the computer. A desktop preferably, I like the keyboards better, and the larger screen.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I almost always write on the computer, I find I am a much faster typist than writer! However, sometimes I really like the feel of pen and paper. I think when I am experiencing writers block it is therapeutic to write by hand.
beautifulday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by beautifulday »

I actually only use my computer to put down the story. I write (with a pen and paper lol) title ideas, characters, plot, outline, and summary.
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

Sean Wheeler wrote:Nowadays, I'm always on the computer.
Aren't we all? (at least most of us?) :techie-hiding: :techie-hiding:

-- 26 Oct 2016, 07:14 --
poetrythanki wrote:I write 80% of the story on my phone. I find it really tiresome to open my PC and sit with it to write down the words. I prefer using my phone instead. Whenever I'm stung by an idea, I open up Jotterpad (An Android App) and write it down.
Jotterpad? Interesting...I haven't tried it, may be I will. Does it have useful features like text export? I have tried a few apps in the recent past and particularly like Cram when it comes to character building and plotting.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

Every time I go to an office supply store, a book store, or a Walmart, I would often find myself looking at journals. I love journals! They represent personality and confidentiality. I wrote a lot in journals when I was in elementary (K-5) and middle school (6-8). When I entered high school, my parents gave me a laptop. They knew I was going to be writing research papers and other assignments in my classes. I still used notebook paper, but I started doing more 'writing' on my laptop. I would get journals for my birthday and Christmas. Unfortunately, they stacked up and I hardly touched them. When I enrolled in college, a laptop or computer with Internet connection was a strict necessity. It made me stay away from writing by hand.

I miss writing by hand. :(
Netgirl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netgirl.html

Post by Netgirl »

When I'm doing game reviews, I'll usually take notes and write the guidelines out by hand. Writing by hand gives me time to think things through and acts as a meditative phase when I'm trying to organize the article. When it comes to sitting down and doing straight out writing though, the computer always wins. It's just easier to read everything on the computer and my thoughts go by so fast I need a tool that can keep up with them.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have never written a book or story but I use the computer for almost everything.
gharrell

Post by gharrell »

Although my typing speed is pretty fast, I put a lot of thought into what I am typing. Therefore, I don't always use a computer to write. I find myself surrounded with notebooks filled with thoughts and ideas for writing later.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html

Post by annieeb »

I love writing by hand but find it more time consuming and messy if writing with a time crunch. Typing has become easier and I love how simple it can be. I will always love writing by hand, especially in cursive, but have to resort to typing at times for the functionality of it.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

Mostly I write on the computer, but there are times that I fill entire composition books, and blow through a dozen or so pens. I can be moody, and I think how I like to write tends to track along with my mood.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
bellarosa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellarosa.html

Post by bellarosa »

When it's ideas, jotting down some one-liners, or a rough draft of a poem, I go ahead and hand write that. When it comes to final products of major projects I stick to my computer, though.
Ashton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashton.html

Post by Ashton »

I do it all on my computer.

Onenote is awesome for writing! You setting, ideas, characters, outlines, and the story all in one place. The only downside to being digital is backing up your work. There have been a few times that I have lost work because of computer crashes.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Most of the time I use my computer. All my big, main stuff is on there. But every so often, I'll write something on a word processor app on my phone. It's not great, but sometimes you just have to scratch that itch, and you don't want to turn the computer on. As for writing by hand, I rarely do that. Really, it's only at times when I don't have access to my computer, and my phone isn't appropriate either.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Return to “Writing Discussion”