Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tempebrown
Currently Reading: Escaping Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 131

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by tempebrown »

It totally depends because I may get a great idea while sitting in a waiting room at a doctor's office (this actually happened to me) and, dumb me, I had nothing to write on or write with. I knew I had to write down what was coming to me so I asked the receptionist if she would let me have some paper and a pen. She was kind enough to give me both and I wrote and wrote until they called my name. Thankfully, when I got home and read what I scribbled on those small pieces of paper, I not only could read it but the thoughts came again and I finished up what I started. Turns out an entire chapter came of it. But most of the time I write on the computer because it does go fast and, like you, the spell checker does a pretty good job. Have to keep an eye on it sometimes, though.
chey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chey »

No!! I love writing by hand, and in pencil. I guess I'm just old school like that. I always said that when I finally get around to writing a book it will be on a type writer ;P
Kwoj03
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwoj03.html

Post by Kwoj03 »

I mostly use a computer. Like many other people have said, it's fast and neat. I'm able to get the ideas out as quickly as they pop into my head. But there is something about writing by hand in a notebook that I love. With a pencil and some paper I'm able to map out my thoughts more freely than I am on a computer.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

Depends on if I want to write a scene, notes, or start writing from the beginning. If I'm going to be sitting down for writing from beginning to end then I use the computer. Laptop more like it. For notes, I write on notebook paper or Evernote. Yep, back to technology. If I'm out and only have access to some paper and something to write with, then I free hand it. I did free hand it once. I was 14 or 15 years old, back in the mid-90s before computers were in every house. But I think faster than I can write free hand so computer it is. Need to catch the missing words right away.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I write both with and without the computer but I prefer to Write by hand as I feel it flows better that way.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Auntie shush
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-auntie-shush.html
Reading Device: B018KXK652

Post by Auntie shush »

I almost always use pen and paper for my first draft, and transfer it to my computer and scrivener when it's complete. If I had a writing timetable I could possibly arrange to be sat with my laptop, but I enjoy getting a notebook and pen out of my bag and starting wherever I am at whatever the time.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I do not write often, since I tend to be hugely self-critical and very aware that this is not where my talents lie... but when I do, I use the computer exclusively. Editing and changing is so much faster and easier on a computer vs. writing it out longhand. And my penmanship leaves something to be desired, so...
stepie82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stepie82.html

Post by stepie82 »

I usually write by hand and do most of my editing by hand and once I am satisfied with the results then I post them to my computer
Rasidat
Currently Reading: What is left of what is right?
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rasidat »

I write in papers first, edit, do final editing and then write on the computer.
It's easy!
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

I do usually write with my laptop. I have a very shaky writing hand due to a tremor, so I can't write long before it gets completely illegible. And I really love to type and I'm good at it, so my writing comes much more quickly.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I have to long hand all of my stories. I write faster than I type so when my brain has all these ideas, I can keep up on paper. Eventually, for publishing purposes, I have to transfer all my writings unto the computer. It's a real pain and I hate the process.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

I usually write things out long-hand! Studies show that we remember what we've actually written out on paper and ink to a greater degree than what we've typed! Don't get me wrong, I do type as well, but it's so much more pleasant (in my opinion) to be able to sit outside or curled up on the couch, etc, with a notebook (paper)! and pen instead of a laptop.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

If I'm brainstorming or just writing as words come to me, I have to use pen and paper. If I am editing or rewriting, then I use the computer.
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

My handwriting is worst. I can't read my own handwriting. So I always write with my computer (tablet or iPad) :idea:
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Yes, only the computer. Writing on paper is too messy, plus it's just a waste of it. I rewrite parts all the time so it's much easier to write on a computer, plus you have access to amazing writing apps which make your life easier.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Return to “Writing Discussion”