What do you like most about book reviewing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: What do you like most about book reviewing?

Post by moderntimes »

What Skillian said about reviewing being a way to see other writers' mistakes and avoiding them. And, sigh, I've got a list of the "don't do" items from this current book.

Right now I'm plunging my way through a sadly flat and featureless novel, what's supposed to be a great noir author of Scandinavian mystery, but it's awful. Plenty of mistakes, too. I won't be able to list the errors because the copy I received is an early rough printing, but the writing itself is dreary. Reads like a grocery list. I know that a negative review affects sales but I'm duty bound to my readership audience who look at my reviews and use them to choose. So I need to call 'em as I sees 'em. Tough.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I love being able to share my love of literacy with the world. I love that I can give great recommendations, and who knows? Maybe the book that I recommended will be the one that changes someone's perspective of reading!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I like being able to have an excuse to read. I feel like there is always so much stuff to do that taking time to read takes time away from stuff that probably should be taken care of, but if I'm doing a review then I get to do something that I like to do that makes me feel like I am accomplishing something for myself and for someone else. I have been exposed to lots of different genres by reviewing books that I might not otherwise have looked for.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I love reading and telling others about the way the book affected me, but also tell the book like it is and be honest about it. I also really enjoy reading the reviews!
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Amheiser wrote:I like being able to have an excuse to read. I feel like there is always so much stuff to do that taking time to read takes time away from stuff that probably should be taken care of, but if I'm doing a review then I get to do something that I like to do that makes me feel like I am accomplishing something for myself and for someone else. I have been exposed to lots of different genres by reviewing books that I might not otherwise have looked for.
:D I also enjoy having an excuse to review. (And getting free books in the process is nice too)
Sarita Everson
Currently Reading: Lover Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarita-everson.html

Post by Sarita Everson »

This is the first site I joined for reviewers. I have never actually reviewed a book. But I would like to start because when I get recommendations and struggle with making a decision I read other reviews on Goodreads. I would like to do the same for somebody else. I also really love reading. So why not read and share.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Besides getting free books (always nice!) and maybe getting a little publicity by writing reviews, when I read and review other mystery books, it really helps me better approach my own mystery writing. If a flawed book can prevent me from making the same mistakes, so much the better. And when I review an excellent book, I'm also inspired to strive more diligently with my own writing.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I haven't done any reviews for this site yet but I have been doing paid reviews for a different site (which has slightly different requirements and a minimum word count vs the more specific structure here and actually requires me to post the reviews places like amazon if requested). The thing I like most is discovering new authors and the way it encourages me to pick up books that may be a different genre than I would usually choose but are things I enjoy anyway. If left on my own, I can get into a rut and not read as widely as I could. I end up missing very good books that way so it's good to get me to step outside of my comfort zone reading wise.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

One great thing about forums about these is that you can review books, and then connect with other fans. You can clarify your reviews and try to tailor books to certain audiences so people can read what they like.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The thing I like least: dealing with authors who can't take criticism. But it is a bit enjoyable, because it makes me laugh. :lol:
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

ALynnPowers wrote:The thing I like least: dealing with authors who can't take criticism. But it is a bit enjoyable, because it makes me laugh. :lol:
Do the authors contact you after you review?
This wasnt something i expected. Not that i mind. I think it would be interesting to hear what they thought of my review. Ive noticed most reviews here go without comment.
Last edited by TLGabelman on 31 Dec 2014, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

There are so many reviews in English. I always write reviews in my own language. It may reach less people but at least I know that those who weren't blessed with the opportunity to learn English for one reason or another, may also know what exactly people think. People of their own background and culture.
And of course, sometimes it feels good to know what other people think and it also helps me a great deal to choose what I should or should not read.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

TLGabelman wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:The thing I like least: dealing with authors who can't take criticism. But it is a bit enjoyable, because it makes me laugh. :lol:
Do the authors contact you after you review?
This wasnt something i expected. Not that i mind. I think it would be interesting to hear what they thought of my review. Ive noticed most reviews here go without comment.
Yeah, I notice too. Lately, I'll even congratulate the author on receiving a 4-star review, and they don't reply. It makes me feel a little blue, but maybe they think they're not supposed to reply, or something.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Yeah, I notice too. Lately, I'll even congratulate the author on receiving a 4-star review, and they don't reply. It makes me feel a little blue, but maybe they think they're not supposed to reply, or something.
Occasionally I see an author respond to a review. I've had it happen just once, and he was very gracious and seemed to value the objective feedback. Some are like this, and others can't seem to handle criticism. I agree with you, it would be nice if there were more interaction between authors and reviewers. But only the authors who aren't oversensitive, arrogant jerks. :lol:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA.

Well, my dad is always telling me that I'm being too sensitive. You know, to everything. Kind of like that boy in My Girl who was allergic... to everything.

(On his behalf, he's the only man who can live with me.)

I've got a book in the review system right now, and I plan to respond whether I get 4-stars or 1-star. Of course, my response will vary greatly from those extremes: either, "Wow, thanks for the great review of my book!" Or, "Thank you for taking the time to read and review my book. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more." Well, we'll see what happens. :-)

Return to “Writing Discussion”