Do writers need a personal website?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
gligoric
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gligoric.html

Re: Do writers need a personal website?

Post by gligoric »

Writers don’t “need” personal websites. I would say rather that any sensible writer would “want” a website. The opportunity for self-promotion and self-gratification at practically no cost is there for the taking. Why waste it? 8)

-- 22 Dec 2013, 17:36 --
jcorkman1 wrote: ... Figure out a name that you will want to keep for a very long time...

James
The best domain name is either your real name or pen name. You have lived with your real name all your life, so there's enough reason to expect that "you will want to keep that name for a very long time." As for your pen name, didn't you think long and hard to come up with the name? It's more than good enough as your domain name.
shabbi223

Post by shabbi223 »

Writers don't really need to have a website. But nowadays internet is the best medium of advertisement or marketing. So it is a good idea to have a website. But having a website wont make you a better writer.
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I just recently set up my proper website after moving from being largely self published to having some of my work taken on by a small press house. They were keen for me to have an official presence and I must say it's been really beneficial. I've noticed a lot more people subscribing to my newsletter and it's an easy place to refer people on to when they want to explore the full breadth of your work.
suebee46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suebee46.html

Post by suebee46 »

Yes, I believe writers need a place to show their writing, give their biography and promote their literary career. The Internet is the first place people look nowadays and the power of social media cannot be underestimated.
Susan
aaronhattle
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaronhattle.html
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Post by aaronhattle »

It definitely can't hurt in this day and age. It can be used as an introduction to you professionally and also as a way to communicate with your fans. This is all dependent on you not doing anything crazy on the website though.
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White
Hearty Guy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

I have to get cracking on one soon. Although I am not planning on writing more, it still may be a help.
kdyett

Post by kdyett »

I just bought my own personal domain name and I'm hoping to create a following and brand myself from there.
Hearty Guy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

Is a facebook fan page a necessity too?
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Am I the only one that's a little annoyed at this trend? Shouldn't writing be left to people who write, and marketing be left to people that like to sell? I see the benefit of self-promoting and self-publishing, of course; because the previous system was broken, and not enough people who wrote things of value were published. And of course, it helps to learn a variety of skills, and for people who write to get feedback from a large group of people rather than just two or three at a big publishing house. But isn't there a better way? A middle ground? Does every author, rather than just being left alone to write, have to figure out how to create a website and spend time marketing themselves to reach a wide audience?
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
LoveMusic_AK

Post by LoveMusic_AK »

I think writers should have their own website. It will help others get to know them better. It will promote their books. :)
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I think having your own website is a good idea. Also, there are many ways for a writer to personally sell and promote their books nowadays. There are places like Smashwords that will let those who finish NaNoWriMo November to sell their 50,000 word novels for free, even if the book is still in the process of being done.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
ecoman
Favorite Author: Robin Cook
Favorite Book: Coma
Currently Reading: The Doomsday Key by James Rollins
fav_author_id: 2537

Post by ecoman »

As an author, I’ve found it advantageous to have a website. It’s true you can have your own domain and pay an annual fee. However, there are a number of free website building sites out there on the internet. You kind of piggyback on their site. This means that you will end up having adds appear on your website. They have to make money if they’re allowing you to create your own website for free.
For my first novel, I used webs (I wasn't allowed to add com because of some rule, but it's self explanatory). It was okay. However, I heard about wix and used it for the website for my second novel. I found it easier to use and I liked their click buttons. Both of these sites offer you an upgrade for a fee and allow you to have your own domain.
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Post by srkilgour »

I think all authors, regardless of how many books you have written, need a website. I hate reading something especially a new author I know nothing about and I can't go to their website to learn more about them and their books. It definitely makes me less likely to read more by them.
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I think it's become so widespread that it's expected, and more likely to be noted in the cases where an author does not have one. Someone who's traditionally published will have their in-print works listed on the publisher's website, but will not have any say over the design or presentation. A personal website allows the author to make as much - or as little - information available as they'd like, including information about the series order of books, or different titles if a UK version is not the same name as the US version, additional background information/photos/etc. about the subject matter that influenced but was not included in the book, and more.

And to free up the author's time for more actual writing, several that I've seen have a 'webmaster' of some sort who handles the basic administration of the site.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I was already planning on starting my own website because I know I sometimes keep tabs on my favorite authors that way, and sometimes the self-published authors are the best ones to do this with because it's stuff posted by the actual author rather than their promoters. This thread has given me some useful information though as well. I am admittedly not a tech savvy person, and the thought of needing to pay for a domain name never crossed my mind. Of course I would have figured it out in the process, but it never hurts to know these things ahead of time. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Return to “Writing Discussion”