What are some classic scary story settings?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
troyciesco
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troyciesco.html

What are some classic scary story settings?

Post by troyciesco »

I'm thinking about tackling a writing project in which I pick a number of classic settings for scary stories, take a look at some stories that employ the setting, and then writing my own short story using that setting. It'd be kind of a fiction/non-fiction hybrid that introduces readers to some classic horror stories they may not have read before and also offers some of my own fiction. This book would probably be free, by the way.

My thinking is that sometimes it's good to play into a cliche when it comes to a setting for a short horror story. Think about it: are you more likely to read a horror story set in a graveyard or a grocery store? I'm not saying new trails can't be blazed, but you can build a million stories in a few familiar settings that have sent chills down the spines of readers for years.

So anyway, what are some classic horror story settings you can think of? Even if I don't tackle this project, I think this question is a fun exercise. Keep in mind when I say horror, it can be pretty broad - paranormal, psychological, and supernatural can all fit here. Here's what me and my brother came up with so far:
-graveyard
-hotel/hotel room
-exorcism (this one's iffy b/c it's not really a setting, it's an event...but it always seems to take place in the person's home)
Zain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain.html

Post by Zain »

Of course there is the abandoned castle, the small village somewhere located in nowhere, dark forests, a forlorn island, then there are the stories that happen in caves, or on a boat.
I guess any setting that is somehow closed off from possible helpers will do. That's great if you want the characters to experience a lot of stress and exhaust them mentally. Most stories I can think of have settings like that. I thought of examples like Dracula, Treasure Island (scary!), typical werewolf/vampire hunt stories, and so on.

Hope that helps.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

Abandoned castle and a deserted island are two popular ones. When I think classic scary settings I think black and white films and scooby doo. I know it's an odd combination.
aaronhattle
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaronhattle.html
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Post by aaronhattle »

Really, you can do any place and just emphasize how dark it is. We have a primal fear of the dark, and I think it translates well across books. Other than that (I wouldn't say this is a "classic" scary location), empty churches haunt my soul.
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White
DeadPiccolo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadpiccolo.html

Post by DeadPiccolo »

Broken down house in the middle of nowhere, lake house (In the middle of the woods), dark woods, deserted town
maddiefattie28

Post by maddiefattie28 »

Any setting works as long as it involves a clown.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

Oddly enough, I've found that footage that looks like it's from an old documentary or movie with dim lighting is way scarier than any dark setting, at least visually. I don't know how you would describe that to the same extent by writing though, by here's an example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdnsVQ9ILE&t=32s

The next best thing would be a forest in the middle of the night. Abandoned houses or castles are so overused people are probably not scared of these anymore. Also, outer space would be another setting not many people have used.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

I like underground settings that have been built over and forgotten about/closed off for safety reasons. Old subway tunnels, the Paris catacombs, etc. Lots of potential for historical hauntings, and the added flavor of "we're not supposed to be down here, so no one's coming to get us if poo hits the fan."

If you want to get a little more pointed, old plantations. You always hear about the ghosts of Civil War widows and the like floating around such places, but I rarely see stories about the ghosts of the many, many enslaved people who must be buried on the grounds or nearby, and if anybody has reason to be so pissed off they refuse to move on...
zoefoster

Post by zoefoster »

Following the post, I found the perfect guide to writing a scary story.

Return to “Writing Discussion”