How did you learn to write well?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
alex_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Re: How did you learn to write well?

Post by alex_ »

Reading, reading, and reading a lot.
bethdearie
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethdearie.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by bethdearie »

I am constantly learning. The things I wrote when I was fifteen, at the time, seemed so grown up. But now they just seem juvenile. Poorly written, nondescript. I am certain to feel this way about my current writings ten years from now.
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

I would say I learned to write well by taking online classes, correspondence courses, and now taking creative writing classes at the college. Another thing that helps me to write well I believe is because I really love to read.
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

Coffee, experience, determination.
PreityB

Post by PreityB »

Hello Terri2!

I enjoyed reading from a very small age. But to be precise I developed a passion for writing when I was appreciated for writing essays by my English Teacher. My passion reached its peak when I was told to write a play for the annual school function. It was then, that I decided to constantly make improvements. Whenever I write a poem or a story I give it to my English Teacher so that she can analyse it and tell me how to improve on my flaws. I make sure when I write the next paper I do not make the same mistakes and that is how I am learning to write well.

-- 03 Aug 2014, 02:17 --

Hello Terri2!

I enjoyed reading from a very small age. But to be precise I developed a passion for writing when I was appreciated for writing essays by my English Teacher. My passion reached its peak when I was told to write a play for the annual school function. It was then, that I decided to constantly make improvements. Whenever I write a poem or a story I give it to my English Teacher so that she can analyse it and tell me how to improve on my flaws. I make sure when I write the next paper I do not make the same mistakes and that is how I am learning to write well.

-- 03 Aug 2014, 02:17 --

Hello Terri2!

Booklover97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Post by Booklover97 »

I am still learning. But reading is important. The more you read the more you understand that every writer has a different way of writing. No too books are the same. The same story line could be used by two authors and yet their books will be very different.

Secondly,expanding your vocabulary helps. Observe everything that is said on televisions or in a speech.

Thirdly, This is what I do most of the time: Whenever I see something, I imagine how I would write it.

Happy writing!
AmandaLMcCormick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandalmccormick.html

Post by AmandaLMcCormick »

Practice.... practice, practice, practice.
And reading. Always.
Chizzyon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizzyon.html

Post by Chizzyon »

Learning how to write well starts with passion, then constant practice, and all. you need to have passion for what you're into
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm still working on it! 8)
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

Of course I always believe that I can learn something new in terms of my writing and reading. I learned to write through a lot reading. I also got to be a pretty decent writer by way of practice. I wrote a lot growing up. If it wasn't journal entries it was poetry or short stories. I also got a lot of encouragement from my family and teachers. They would tell me what they liked and what they didn't like and I would improve upon it.

Writing isn't easy. If it were everyone would do it. Creating a work that you can be proud of is a harrowing experience. I have found that I am my own worst critic. I struggle with myself writing the perfect introduction or readable dialogue and it takes practice to get better at it.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

To write well, writers needs to be a avid readers themselves. Reading is how the basic skills of the craft get into our heads in the first place. Then we must put what we have learnt into practice, and keep on doing so. Only by continued writing (and reading) can we improve. I don't believe the learning process ever stops. I've heard many successful writers saying they are still learning after years of writing excellent books.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I like to think that people are always learning and trying to better themselves. I learned to write as a hobby by experimenting with writing styles and finding a way that I liked to write in the best and where my best work came out. Once I because confident with that I started to branch out and writing in ways that were different from my usual one because I wanted to get better at that style as well. I want to constantly challenge myself so that eventually I'll be good at every writing style I try and will eventually be confident enough to try to get my books published.
robertleon0

Post by robertleon0 »

I have always wanted to write down part of my story. Maybe once I understand the etiquette that's in writing.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

milliethom wrote:To write well, writers needs to be a avid readers themselves. Reading is how the basic skills of the craft get into our heads in the first place. Then we must put what we have learnt into practice, and keep on doing so. Only by continued writing (and reading) can we improve. I don't believe the learning process ever stops. I've heard many successful writers saying they are still learning after years of writing excellent books.
Well said! Nice advice from our featured author! 8)
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I practice writing all the time, along with reading thousands of books. I also found Stephen King's book On Writing while I was in middle school and took what he said about his writing process and killing adjectives to heart. I read that book at least once a year as a refresher. Right now to better myself I am going after a degree in Creative Writing.
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby

Return to “Writing Discussion”