How did you learn to write well?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Timpane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Timpane »

I didn't discover any thing there I couldn't have wise in a powerful composing group. Learning from other ones is a large way to discover your own power and weaknesses.
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

through writing a lot, of course. Reading also helps a lot, but the best way to learn how to do something is by doing it.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I still write very un-neatly, at least that's what the annoying girl's say at my school say.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Enigmatic Surrender

Post by Enigmatic Surrender »

I learned to write well via role play. Not the kind of role play where you dress up as your favorite comic book hero, but free form text-based role play. Always wanting to one-up the person whose character is in a fight with your character, or always wanting to make sure the other person can visualize what it is your character is doing so he/she can allow their character to respond accordingly and push the storyline along.
Margarita

Post by Margarita »

practice is the "shortcut"
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

You learn the language from school and books.
You learn the ideas from the world, observations.
You learn the voice from you own feelings.
:D Enjoy your day~
Ravenxox

Post by Ravenxox »

Reading certainly has helped as it has offered so many new styles to try on. Due to my uni studies I have also had some courses on writing, mainly academic, but which have offered a great deal of tips how to practice to be more fluent writer. I write a lot, just on scraps of paper some free writing that has no sense to journal and comments like this. I actually write more fluently and better text in English than in my native as the most of the writings that I have done have been in English. So practising has been the key for me.
Hearthackerpk

Post by Hearthackerpk »

I am still learning
but i think i learned lot of from forums and blogs
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Yukiora 24 »

There is always room to learn. But practice is key!
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

The learning process, for me, never really ends. It's just about writing a lot, and reading even more. All the time.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
ealegner23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealegner23.html

Post by ealegner23 »

I took a creative writing course in college and developed a taste for it. Then I made my friends read everything I wrote and quickly learned what worked and didn't work...much to their dismay.
kelsmercer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsmercer.html

Post by kelsmercer »

Way back in elementary school, I had an older friend who liked to write fanfiction of her favorite anime. I idolized her and began to write fanfiction as well. Then, that turned into roleplay. Through roleplaying and writing fanfiction, I met another girl over the internet who was also much older than me. She was a fabulous writer. She wrote beautifully and she helped me transform my writing. I even owe my switch to original fiction to her.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

I would say I learned by reading. I mean I've always been able to take what I've learned or even seen, and take it for it's structure, and then t=make it unique, my own. Reading people as diverse as Dickens, Raymond Carver, contemporaries like David Lawrence and Gregg Horrowitz, have all allowed me to come forth with writing that is my own, as well as a bit of all of theirs. Lately though, I've been referencing Nigel Watts in his Writing A Novel.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

Writing will always be a constant learning process for me but I do agree with others in that reading a variety of genres can help with developing your own voice. Reading works by published authors and having your own work read by other writers as well as the target audience you're trying to reach is a great way to learn what's most effective for you and your readers.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
electramia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electramia.html

Post by electramia »

You are constantly learning, and the only way to learn is to read.
"Life’s too short to drink crappy coffee and cry over boys who don’t care."
-Matt Healy (The 1975)

Return to “Writing Discussion”