Which came first: the characters or the story?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Which came first: the characters or the story?

Post by rssllue »

It is almost always the story first. Sometimes it even just begins with a title that evokes a place for me and the details just fill in from there. But though it starts with the story, as the characters develop, they create their own stories that get woven into the whole.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
AliciaC14
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciac14.html

Post by AliciaC14 »

I tend to allow the character to unfold within the story. I have an idea in my mind of what the character is like and the story is outlined but sometimes I even surprise myself at the change as it comes before me.
hamernik001
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hamernik001.html

Post by hamernik001 »

Usually the character comes first. You think of a specific person and they tell you what their story should be. Sometimes I start with a scene and fit the story and characterization around the scene, but sometimes it can be a word or a line to go around. Listening to conversations of other people in public can give great storyline or character ideas.
lindell

Post by lindell »

It depends on what feels most inspiring, but for me it's often the characters that comes first and then the story is built around them.
JennaFay
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Hogfather
Currently Reading: Diplomacy of Wolves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennafay.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by JennaFay »

For me, because I started writing on forum RP play-by-post and because I trained as an actor, my characters tend to be more fully fleshed out than the plot when I start writing. I definitely have a bank of them that I use on a pretty regular basis - minor traits and backstory may change here and there depending on what I'm writing. But even though I have these characters, I can't start writing until I have at least a bare bones of a story to go along with it. Setting, basic plot, central conflict, what have you. Then the bulk of the actual writing is me just bouncing the characters off of each other until I get them where they need to be.
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Both. My novel came out of NaNoWriMo and the characters developed with it. Before that I would create any where from 2 to 5 characters a week. I write their names in a list and narrowed it down through the years to 100 characters. Each has their own place in a universe, but can be easily put inside any universe.
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

Honestly, I'm not sure if you can create characters without creating the story -- as most stories (I think) are built on how a character makes meaning of something that happens to them; that is, the story and the character cannot exist without each other.

My answer: unless the story has no people in it (or whatever type of characters you are using) then both story and characters happen together.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I usually think about the story first. I'll get some inspiration and start sketching out a rough outline until I think it's enough to start writing. Then I start building the character around what I have going on in my story and change things about either the characters or the story as I go.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I actually have the same problem (coming up with characters before I have a story). I call it a problem because while I find creating characters to be a very easy process, I struggle with creating a good story in which to place them! It doesn't work very well for me, I'm afraid, but perhaps if I just concentrate on one character at a time, something will finally come together.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I guess it depends. Very often I find myself coming up with a character and thinking that he or she will make a great character for a story and the other characters follow along with a story. Then the rest of the time a story comes first and then the characters. Both ways I suppose. One just comes with the other.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

With the trilogy I'm writing, the two main characters came first, one of them in particular. As the books are historical fiction, many of the events in my story were already set in place. I simply had to put my own interpretation on them. Of course, I included many fictional characters and events in order to tell my tale. However, I frequently get ideas for future novels with no definite characters yet in mind.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I have found myself building stories around characters and also building characters to fit into stories so I think either way can work. I think I like building characters to fit into stories better because if you build characters then a lot of times the stories just happen because of the characters that are created and what they might end up doing.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

It depends for me as well. Sometimes the characters come first. Or a certain character in a certain situation. Then the story comes around that character, and then the other characters are made to fit into the story as needed. Maybe that's my main technique.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I almost always come up with the story before the characters. Once I come up with a solid idea, then I will start to develop the characters, because they might be majorly affected by the plot. Of course, several times I have come up with the characters first, but that is a rare occasion.
Avid SciFi Fan

Post by Avid SciFi Fan »

At least some of the charaters come first for me. Usually the main character and the main villian. Then I outline a brief story I had in mind with those characters. Once I get started, the side characters and details of the story take it from there.

I think this is all up to your particular style and can vary widely between people.

Return to “Writing Discussion”