Can You Write and Illustrate Too?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Can You Write and Illustrate Too?

Post by Loveabull »

I've always been interested in getting some children's book proposals sent out there. I'm not a professional artist but can do fanciful cartoons. One of the central characters I would like to include would be a pit bull type dog...sort of an advocacy for the breed. I'd feel bad if an editor turned the dog into a retriever or all purpose cute little mutt.

Perhaps in a cover letter I could explain that a bit? I understand that editors will often team an illustrator with a writer to produce picture books. Just wonder how professional the illustrations have to be? I'm thinking of a character like the Nerdy kid or even Captain Underpants and Dav Pilkey...basically line drawn cartoons. Suggestions?
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

I like your idea. And if you're adamant about keeping your dog, I'd suggest trying as many publishers as you can until you find one that will let you.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I wish I had that much talent. I do write and do my own photography. My best friend is an artist and illlustrated (...brought to life...) a childrens book I wrote. It wa marvelous to see my characters come alive!
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I really like that idea. I am working on two books and wish I could illustrate the cover of my own books but I unfortunately have no artistic talent at all!
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

The nice thing about creating your own artwork is the personality it possesses. It isn't some random 'hired-gun' graphic, it's you.

I have little artistic talent, but I crated the covers and graphics for my first two novels, as well as my web site, Facebook, twitter, YouTube, and other promotional materials. I simply had to approach them mechanically, rather than artistically, but I feel great satisfaction knowing they were part of the creative process, rather than just contracted work.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I am so envious of anyone who can illustrate. If I had any kind of artistic ability (outside of writing, as many people that an art in itself), I would make manga versions of all my stories.

But I'm terrible at drawing in any form, so that's never going to happen.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

ALynnPowers wrote:I am so envious of anyone who can illustrate. If I had any kind of artistic ability (outside of writing, as many people that an art in itself), I would make manga versions of all my stories.

theres a Manga drawing program that you can download. I've forgotten what its called (sorry :| ) but you can even use your photo as a layer and draw over it, thereby making great manga pictures.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:I am so envious of anyone who can illustrate. If I had any kind of artistic ability (outside of writing, as many people that an art in itself), I would make manga versions of all my stories.

theres a Manga drawing program that you can download. I've forgotten what its called (sorry :| ) but you can even use your photo as a layer and draw over it, thereby making great manga pictures.
That actually sounds really awesome. I live in the manga capital of the world, so I am sure I can find something in app form. Sweet.

Actually, once I remember having a manga photo app. You took a picture, and it made it look like a drawing. You could add "sound effects" or hearts/flowers/whatever to the photo. They always turned out hilarious.
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

I really like you idea, I was very interesting in reading picture book. I am new in writing, so I would not have so much idea about how to write, but I really like your idea beneficial for me.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Listen everybody. You can learn to draw. There is a terrific book called Drawing With Children, but it works for adults too. It will take you step by step and help you slowly acquire the skills you need to draw. The very first thing it works on is the attitude that only a few people can draw, and other people "can't."
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Listen everybody. You can learn to draw. There is a terrific book called Drawing With Children, but it works for adults too. It will take you step by step and help you slowly acquire the skills you need to draw. The very first thing it works on is the attitude that only a few people can draw, and other people "can't."
That's good to know. At least there is hope. I would still be a little skeptical though. Maybe I am horrible, but I kind of believe that not everyone should be a writer.... so following the same line of thought, maybe not everyone should be an artist. Maybe they can do it, but they shouldn't. Yes, I am horrible. Sorry!
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Hey, ALynnPowers, I think you are right that some people have natural inclinations that make it much easier and more pleasant for them to learn a skill like drawing, or writing. For me, it's music. I love it, but I am practically tone-deaf and have no natural rhythm. I did learn to read music and to "count," but it takes me about twice as long to learn anything musical, as it would an average person.

So what you say is probably true of drawing too.

However, I think that for some reason in the case of drawing, many people think that anyone who "can draw" should be able to pick up a pen and draw exactly what's in their mind, without any practice or training. So, the first time they draw something they don't like, they are horribly embarrassed and don't go on trying to learn to draw, though they badly want to be able to. That's too bad. After all, we don't expect that kind of instant expertise in sports, or music, or writing.

So, for those on this list who wish they could draw, and can even imagine how they would illustrate their books if they could, that tells me they have some inclination that way, and thus probably some talent too.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Hey, ALynnPowers, I think you are right that some people have natural inclinations that make it much easier and more pleasant for them to learn a skill like drawing, or writing. For me, it's music. I love it, but I am practically tone-deaf and have no natural rhythm. I did learn to read music and to "count," but it takes me about twice as long to learn anything musical, as it would an average person.

So what you say is probably true of drawing too.

However, I think that for some reason in the case of drawing, many people think that anyone who "can draw" should be able to pick up a pen and draw exactly what's in their mind, without any practice or training. So, the first time they draw something they don't like, they are horribly embarrassed and don't go on trying to learn to draw, though they badly want to be able to. That's too bad. After all, we don't expect that kind of instant expertise in sports, or music, or writing.

So, for those on this list who wish they could draw, and can even imagine how they would illustrate their books if they could, that tells me they have some inclination that way, and thus probably some talent too.
Thumbs up! Okay, now I get what you are saying! True dat.

I have no idea why I just wrote those words.... :oops:
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

True dat. I love it. No need to blush.
Wendy 1122

Post by Wendy 1122 »

I'm wildly jealous of those with artistic talent. Unfortunately, though I can see the images quite clearly in my mind when I write, I can't wrestle them down onto paper.

Return to “Writing Discussion”