How on earth can an author forget their character's names?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

How on earth can an author forget their character's names?

Post by booklvr62 »

Ok, this is a pet peeve of mine,on top of getting history wrong in an historical,but this just happened to me again the other day while reading.Suddenly a character's name was changed from Fletcher to Witcher,and I thought "Whaaaaat,who the heck is Witcher"! I find this especially inexcusable when it happens in a trilogy or series!

BTW,the books that I recall this happening in, have not yet occured in self-published books,so no editor is not the problem.

Does this drive other readers BONKERS like it does me,LOL?
A24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by A24 »

Lol. Sounds like a problem Dory had in "Finding Nemo"! She couldn't get Nemo's name straight (Fabio, Elmo, Chico, Harpo, and Bingo)!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I can't remember losing a character but yesterday I was reading a mystery and it said the information just didn't jibe with what he already knew.

I think he was going for jive....
yes, lots of mistakes in books these days.
we should have been editors instead of readers, eh?
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
booklvr62
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>

Post by booklvr62 »

It seems like the editors aren't even reading the books anymore.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

According to research, and Scientific America, we read a screen differently to a paper page. Our eyes do not scan words on a screen as efficiently as paper. We can read about 25 percent faster, with more comprehension, on paper. This may explain the rise in e-book editors errors but it does not explain the author goofing up with character names. Unless they don't re-read their own work or keep good manuscript notes.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
booklvr62

Post by booklvr62 »

Exactly, because the books that I am referring to are paper books,not eBooks.
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

Ah, I have been finding a lot of mistakes in ebooks.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
booklvr62

Post by booklvr62 »

lady_charlie wrote:Ah, I have been finding a lot of mistakes in ebooks.
Oh yes, many mistakes in ebooks,especially self-published ones,but I download very few that aren't already highly regarded.Haven't yet read an ebook where the author forgot/changed one of their character's names.
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

Well, if I can keep track of who it is maybe I just haven't noticed when it happens. Sometimes people in books have more than one name so maybe some of them are changing accidentally and I am just assuming it was on purpose! Especially in Russian books like Anna Karenina or even LOTR if I am pretty sure who they are I don't worry what they get called.
Maybe there are more or fewer characters in some of these books than I thought!
Now I am worried.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

lady_charlie wrote:Well, if I can keep track of who it is maybe I just haven't noticed when it happens. Sometimes people in books have more than one name so maybe some of them are changing accidentally and I am just assuming it was on purpose! Especially in Russian books like Anna Karenina or even LOTR if I am pretty sure who they are I don't worry what they get called.
Maybe there are more or fewer characters in some of these books than I thought!
Now I am worried.
@lady_charlie
In relation to Russian names I remember reading up on it when I was trying to get to grips with Tolstoy & Pasternak but I've mostly forgotten the rules. But I do recall there being variations of names used dictated by differing social circumstances & depending on the relationship between the person being addressed ... formal, informal and intimate relationship.
Also if I recall correctly they use three names ... a first name, a patronymic and a surname.
Maybe someone with more Russian expertise can explain better. But it is definitely one of the challenges of Russian literature. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
booklvr62

Post by booklvr62 »

Well since I have never read a book set in Russia that doesn't pertain to the authors of the historical romances that I've read where they changed their character's names.One changed their's back again after a few chapters,but the other author never did,and that really made me feel like someone else finished writing that book!Someone who didn't even know the characters.
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

Well, I am pretty sure Tolkien knew who Strider was all the time.
But now that you say this I will watch more carefully.
janebeth92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janebeth92.html

Post by janebeth92 »

I've never experienced this issue before, but I have come across awful editing (grammar mistakes, spelling errors etc.) and it makes me want to become an editor so I can fix these problems. One book was so bad that it actually was missing 14 pages. They weren't ripped out or anything, they were just completely non-existent. It was hard to finish the book, as those 14 pages held some vital plot information. The thing is, no genre or style or publishing house can escape from this amateur editing. Small publishing books have it, big publishing books have it, you can find it anywhere! So frustrating.
kaybru
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaybru.html

Post by kaybru »

That seems very insane.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I've only encountered this a couple times, but the slip ups only happened once, so I found myself wondering if the author just made a mistake and inserted the wrong name, or if there was some other character I wasn't even aware of! I have more trouble with books that have so many characters I can't keep them all straight.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!

Return to “Writing Discussion”