Writer's Block

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sheila
Favorite Author: Impossible to pick
Favorite Book: Gone With The Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sheila »

I tihnk my main problem with writer's block is that I never write my endings, because my characters write my story not me, but sometimes since I am not sure where it is going I don't know how to get there.
sharon.gmc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sharon.gmc »

Have you watched the movie, "Stranger than Fiction"? The character of Emma Thompson is a writer that has a writer's block. She didn't know how to kill her main character. The idea came one day when she was coming out of the grocery. A seller of apple accidentally drops the apples and then it hit her that she will kill her main character in the street, by being hit by a bus.

She later said that like many great ideas, they just come. . .

So maybe you can go to the grocery or something. . .
Peter-CB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peter-CB »

Sharon's got a point. Sometimes the randomness of daily life ends something for you.

I only hit writer's block when I'm neglecting some aspect of my life--physically, mentally, or spiritually--that I need to tend before I can write again. Say, for example, I've been cooped up in my apartment or at work for days, and no ideas are coming: I go for a run. Or haven't had a good conversation/argument/night out: I go to the bar. Or haven't spent a while thinking about where I've been and where I'm going, and where I see myself in the universe: I read a book, or meditate, or go on a long walk by the river and watch the city run itself. Part of what makes a good writer is awareness and observation of one's surroundings, but it's also being self-aware to a degree at which you can tell when you need to clear your head. That usually means not thinking about your writing, but ideas instead. Get your mind in another groove.

Return to “Writing Discussion”