I don't know how to write

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
subirkumar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: I don't know how to write

Post by subirkumar »

well writing needs well thinking capability. if U have it U can write without any problem.

thanks.
tangledsynapses

Post by tangledsynapses »

''I do not know ho to write''.....Interesting....Writing is putting your thoughts in words. Some thoughts are coherent, others are not. Same with words. Meditation is the buffer.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Maybe not everyone should write.
I was trying to read a book I borrowed from Amazon and I got so wrapped up in how I could improve the book and all the things the author had done that made me want to stop reading it and thinking that Isabel Allende could have made the same story work, that I have changed my mind.
I always thought most people who want to write have about one good book in them and then they should stop anyway,
but my level of patience for people who are flinging out novels willy nilly has made me more sure than ever that I will die with my one good book unwritten.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
jonjiissmiling1

Post by jonjiissmiling1 »

KristinPoe1 wrote:I wish I could write. My daughter writes like a pro. I don't think she got it from me. I would like to think she got the talent of making characters, plots, and all the makings of a story from me, but alas, it is not so. I think I have the idea down. I just have no organization skill. I have tons of ideas and characters crammed in my head, but they have no way out! How do these awesome authors (some I've heard are on this forum) do it? Please share the magic with this poor unfortunate soul. I would love to write and get these people out of my head. Who could help me?
Organizing is the easy part; it's a lot like play dough. If you have tons of characters someone can just take the lead (any volunteers?)...

Go to a cafe or a park and watch a book come to life right before your eyes. For example: you are walking to a coffee shop and you get in line. You say to yourself, i want that last chocolate croissant. The barista says hi, what can i get for ya, talking to the guy in front of you who is next. The guy states, just a coffee. God it's windy today; you know what? Make it a large. The barista goes to fetch the large coffee. The guy looks at you and asks you with serious intent, don't you think it's windy and cold? God it's cold out. You say, i guess so. I kind of like the cold. You turn your head to eye your pastry to make sure it is still safe and sound. The serious minded guy sees you gazing at your chocolate buttery treat. The barista while tapping the computer screens says, anything else? The guy states with a hidden smile, you know what? Can i have that last chocolate croissant there? The barista seems to look at you and the guy at the same time, and wonders why you look a bit sullen............

Just wrote that as an example. Cause if you went to a coffee shop or wherever, to observe as many details as possible, you will see everyone has their lines just like how characters do in a book or short story or etc...so someone or some setting or someone in some setting needs to get the ball rolling...perhaps the character who keeps trying to get your attention the most. You know? The one who seems to have one too many room keys in your head to get around in. Listen and Let that character spill his or her guts to you in slow motion. And when that character does, have a pen or keyboard ready...and if other characters want to chime in let them in too. Cause they're allowed to have their say in the matter as well. All nouns are characters with voices. And you are the listener and the stenographer. (Sometimes you got to be quick because some nouns like to ride in the fast lane.)

Then it becomes a lot like legos. But if it starts to feel a lot like jenga, then it might be time for a nap of some sort. Maybe.

I hope this helps.
Margo

Post by Margo »

Perhaps the right software could solve your organizational issues. Try Scrivener, the writing software, free trial for Windows and Mac. Scrivener lets you work in any order you want and gives you tools for planning and restructuring your writing. You can enter a synopsis for each document on a virtual index card and then stack and shuffle the cards in the corkboard until you find the most effective sequence. Plan out your work in Scrivener’s outliner and use the synopses you create as prompts while you write. Or just get everything down into a first draft and break it apart later for rearrangement on the outliner or corkboard.

-- 08 Aug 2013, 15:05 --

jonjiissmiling1, what a great reply. You make it seem so easy. If one could take this method and go with it, well, what a surprise, you are now a writer. Put this method together with the right software and problem solved!
geet-anjali
Currently Reading: Tortured in Ashram
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geet-anjali.html

Post by geet-anjali »

Wow shadedragon you are very encouraging and informative indeed! Practical ideas with clear and easy to follow guidelines. Thanks for the information
joriemae
Favorite Book: Nancy Drew
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joriemae.html

Post by joriemae »

I'm having a hard time putting my ideas into words and then writing them on a paper.
River_Dawn

Post by River_Dawn »

Writing for me is a coping mechanism. I have some emotional issues that it helps me work out. I believe in order to write well, the writer has to have 1. The raw talent and 2. The passion to write. It's a passion for me, because as I mentioned, it helps me feel better. Of course, talent gets you nowhere if you're not willing to hone your abilities. I practice my writing all the time. I think it also helps a lot to make friends who are writers. They share your love of words and your ambition to achieve something great. They want to see you succeed as much as you want them to do the same. An encouraging environment is a great stepping stone.
wcttech

Post by wcttech »

We've heard it over and over: write what you know. But we can challenge our imaginations and think differently by writing what we don't know.
BRAINYCHIC

Post by BRAINYCHIC »

Try to create an interesting plot that can link these thoughts and ideas together in one story. Then once you have established that just let your creative juices flow! :D
AlexisReed
Favorite Author: Zora Neale Hurston
Favorite Book: Their Eyes Was Watching God
Currently Reading: The Coldest Winter Ever
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisreed.html

Post by AlexisReed »

I find that just free writing those ideas down helps doesn't have to be in odered but get it out in a way where you create an outline the samw way you wrote this post. Writing is not hard it releasing that tricks up the mindand makes us tense also having bkank cancas and just jotting which is just listing points, people,emotions, etc that get creative juices flowing
opyne4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opyne4.html

Post by opyne4 »

I have tons of ideas that need to get onto paper, too, so I have taken some creative writing classes and am currently in the creative writing certificated program at Rio Salado Community College. But I'm not sure it's helping me. We haven't done much writing on our own novels, more mechanics. So I don't know if I would recommend taking classes. I have found excellent tips for organization online. Look up The Snowflake system. It has helped me a lot.

-- 13 Oct 2013, 23:07 --

I have tons of ideas that need to get onto paper, too, so I have taken some creative writing classes and am currently in the creative writing certificated program at Rio Salado Community College. But I'm not sure it's helping me. We haven't done much writing on our own novels, more mechanics. So I don't know if I would recommend taking classes. I have found excellent tips for organization online. Look up The Snowflake system. It has helped me a lot.
jcorkman1
Favorite Author: Clive Cussler
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6858

Post by jcorkman1 »

I see a lot of interesting suggestions, and most of them are true. It just depends on whether you're writing novels or short stories, poems or autobiography's. The thing is, there are certain standards for each type. I only write novels, so that is all I'm qualified to speak about. In novels, it's the little tricks you learn along the way. Things like story arc, building tension, conflicts, and much more. Just keep in mind that first time writers need to learn these little tricks along the way, so just start writing and learn as you go. Good luck.

James

-- 18 Oct 2013, 11:28 --

One place that gives a lot of free writing and publishing tips is Writers digest dot com. It's free to join, and they also offer web classes and tutorials, which are not free. To get the tutorials is worth the small investment. They cover most subjects. Good luck.

James
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

Well, your post is written well, so that's a big start for you right there. You mentioned having no organizational skills for your writing. Try free writing (just write whatever comes, and you can make sense of it later). I also like to use notecards when I have too much on my mind to keep things straight. That way, the notes can be rearranged as needed, but doesn't mess with the flow of creativity (which can happen when you're trying to organize at the same time).
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

I am having trouble with this myself! I am just starting to write novels, and I find myself having word diarrhea all over the page. Yuck. I have been researching how to do better!

I have read a lot about structure on various writers' blogs. If you have an author you love and would like to emulate, I would check out their site and see if they have any writing tips. Some things I have come across that have helped me are Janet Evanovich's use of the Three Acts (like a screenplay), the Snowflake method, and outlining.

But the most important advice that I've read by all the authors' is just to WRITE. Don't worry so much about structure that you don't write the story. Go ahead and get it on paper (or screen) the best that you can. Each time you write, you learn more and get better at it.
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Return to “Writing Discussion”