I don't know how to write

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tangowithParis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: I don't know how to write

Post by tangowithParis »

"I never forget anything. But, sometimes, I can't remember it. This is what my
college philosophy professor had to say about the nature of communication. Don't
worry about something you've forgotten. You'll remember it when it becomes important
enough to remember. Think this is gibberish? Ask someone whose read Cloud Atlas.
Conversations that began centuries apart are concluded by two disparate minds who
have a stake in the conclusion.
Pat Ball
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pat-ball.html

Post by Pat Ball »

Just start writing some of those ideas down and don't worry too much about how they look or sound within the first draft. Good writing comes from re-writing.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I like to think that the editing process IS the writing process. The first draft is just the compilation of notes that builds the frame for the real work. :wink:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Thanks! And also, keep us updated on your writing, too.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am not a pro writer, but I also have this similar problem that you have. I think I solved it by having a good grasp of English at first (I'm a non-native English speaker), then reading a lot of fiction books. After that, my basic writing process is just writing everything down that is in my head. When I said everything, I meant everything. After writing everything down, I usually have a lot of words, ideas, and insights that I need and that is when I try to organize the start, middle, and end of my writing. I throw out some ideas and reword/rephrase some. After that, I edit it again by spotting errors, etc.
Rodel Barnachea

Nathrad Sheare wrote: 09 Jun 2014, 05:45 I like to think that the editing process IS the writing process. The first draft is just the compilation of notes that builds the frame for the real work. :wink:
Yeah, this is the same way I write. This makes everything a whole lot easier. I used to think that writing is hard and not for me, but now, I know I can write.
Rodel Barnachea

nicoze256 wrote: 21 Apr 2013, 14:49 Let me put this in perspective for you: there are a ton of published authors out there who can't seem to write. Just worry about getting your ideas on the page first and then put them into sentences. Write until you have an ending. Then put it away and get started clearing the next idea out of your head.
I like this tip. It's very straightforward. This would help a lot of beginning writers.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

You should write a story to the end first. That happens to me as well and to overcome it I write the same story in different ways and at end I chose the one who goes in accordance to the the way I thought the story to be.

Return to “Writing Discussion”