Do you write in paper anymore????

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Do you write in paper anymore????

Post by tannus »

Though typing in a computer is easy and efficient, I still like to write in paper first and then type :)
What are your opinions on writing with hand vs typing
Victoria7716
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria7716 »

For me I personally enjoy writing it out on paper for my first draft of anything then I can change the orders of sentences and paragraphs I feel as though for me personally it's easier to see errors on paper rather than on a computer screen but I will type and print then edit if I have to. It's just easier for me having the paper to put notes on in the margins rather than trying to fix everything as i see it on a computer screen so i dont forget the changes i want to make then realizing i messed everything up by fixing one thing before going further.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

My hand gets tired of writing so I never really write on paper. I would love a typewriter, but the convenience of a computer is just too tempting I think. All my writing goes online anyway so it's easy to copy and paste.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I like writing on hand first because I can see everything and edit as need be with different colored utensils. Another bonus will be still having your hard work intact rather than lost should the power cut out part way through typing or worse, your computer getting hit with a trojan/virus that wipes everything out of existence. The latter occurred while I was in school and wasbhighly upset but fortunately I had my paper written out before hand.
Kris5911
Favorite Book: Boundaries
Currently Reading: Follow Me
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kris5911.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kris5911 »

I love writing on paper! So many extra perks like doodling, showing frustration by scratching out words, seeing everything all at once instead of having to scroll up to see what was written and then having to scroll down to complete a thought. It is so much better to write on paper.

When I first started writing, I didn't have a computer and I wrote on everything from napkins to tree bark (which was super fun!). When I finally got my first computer (it took floppy disks) I had a book bag full of first drafts, lists of names, and plot ideas. It was several years and one new laptop later before I decided I had enough back-up disks and SIM cards, so I threw out that book bag with its original scraps. I had a small panic attack but was able to move on. Now I have more notebooks full of more plots and connections which I transfer to my laptop.

Every now and then I'll look at one of my first stories I wrote and cringe as I see what I used to write, and then smile at how far my writing and style has come. Good reminders are those old files. Yes, I prefer the pencil and paper method. It means less time staring at a bright computer screen while trying to figure out the next plan of action for my story. Should stress come along, I won't be hammering my keyboard (important writing tool!) with abuse and sloshing tea on it as I slam my cup on the table. Paper can get wet, then dry, be extra crinkly, but all in all no harm to my tools. Plus, there's no accidental erasing of my magnum opus. Once it's been written down on paper, it's there to stay until it is burned.

^_^
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

The majority of my first drafts are on paper, in a journal or tablet. THen, after putting it away a few weeks, I transcribe the story into an MSWord file on my laptop. I make revisions as I go in that stage, and it becomes my official second draft. All of my future drafts are done on the computer, too.

It's just my writing process. And, it helps me to make sure each draft is better and better.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I prefer writing on paper playing with ideas, taking notes, planning etc. It's not until I have enough content that I can begin structure and format. Sitting staring at a blank screen just gives me headaches.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I often "freestyle" on paper, meaning that when I get ideas for articles I sit down and I write whatever comes to mind about that topic on my scrap journal. It helps me structure my thinking before I move onto my laptop and also saves me from the terror of a blank screen :D
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

I still do it. First write it on paper, then transfer on my computer. My simple reason, doing it, I can check what was wrong or what something to add.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I write on my computer, but if I'm editing, I have a compulsive need to print so I can highlight and write comments or changes in hand.
Theresa Ammons Pinkston
Favorite Book: Pay It Forward
Currently Reading: The Day I Had a Bulldozer
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-ammons-pinkston.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Theresa Ammons Pinkston »

Yes, my writing is usually on paper and in longhand. My ideas seem to flow easier when I don't have to worry about finding the right key(s). I now have 30+ notebooks that need to be gone through and organized so that related items can "find" each other, which is a big problem!
mady_howe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mady_howe »

Both writing and typing have its pros and cons but personally one weighs out the other.I greatly prefer writing information on paper versus typing because it is much easier for the mind to process its initial ideas and you retain what you put down when written on paper rather than typing it out. Just alone I have read the first 2 sentences 5 times because I was not successfully able to type my full thoughts without forgetting what I had already typed. But having a dictionary, thesaurus, and spell and grammar checker with one click sure does make it hard to stay loyal to the old fashion paper and pencil side.
Tam_R0se
Favorite Book: Dying to Stay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tam-r0se.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Tam_R0se »

I think better with a pen in my hand so almost everything I write starts out on paper. I don't move to the computer until I know where the piece is going and have a fair idea of how I'm getting there. I revise and refine while keying it into the laptop. It's messy and not very organized, but it seems to be working for me.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I use to take notes a lot whenever I'm in school, but nowadays, typing on a keyboard to write stories and notes are way more manageable for me.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

I generally only use paper when our power is out, largely because I can't really afford to keep buying paper to write on if I have an alternative.

Return to “Writing Discussion”