What's your favorite genre?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Nansie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nansie.html

What's your favorite genre?

Post by Nansie »

As a writer, do you have a favorite genre of writing? Can you write about anything or just the thing you do best?
FeManJay

Post by FeManJay »

That is a very general question. I can only answer it for myself of course, but I like to write as across the board as possible. Being young, I do not think that I have the ability to stick to one genre. I like to experiment and try new things with my writing. Jacoby Shaddix, the lead singer of Papa Roach once said, when asked about the band's eclectic nature, "I don't want to put up my guitar not knowing if I can do a certain kind of music. As an artist I want to develop, but I also never want to doubt what I can and can't do."
I think that is a very good way to be as a writer. Especially as a young writer, before you have found your "niche" so to speak. I do prefer to write novels that have an element of mystery, but not "mystery novels" more just elusive novels. Right now I am working on an action novel for the first time and am surprising myself with how easy it seems to be coming to me. I never would have thought I'd be good at that kind of writing. So I suppose to answer the question, you can of course write about anything, not just what you do best, because you may not know what you do best if you haven't tried to perfect everything. Also, I read somewhere that it isn't always good to just do what you do best, because what you do best might not be what you need to write about nor what others want to read about.
Ok, that is my schpiel. Hope I answered the question you were actually asking...
flowers2612

Post by flowers2612 »

The "Classics"baby
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

Definitely thrillers. Although I care about characterization, I love reading a good plot-driven novel, and I find them more fun to write as well.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
JadeBecker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadebecker.html

Post by JadeBecker »

My favorite genre for writing would be thrillers as well. They tend to draw me into writing and give me better perspective of how to write the story with more enthusiasm.
theniceiceman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theniceiceman.html

Post by theniceiceman »

I enjoy writing horror stories. I feel it gives me a way to get the worst parts of me out of my body and onto paper instead haha. As far as reading goes, I love thrillers, horror, and mysteries. Nothing beats reading a scary story in front of the fireplace and drinking tea on a winter's evening!
Buttatoast
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttatoast.html

Post by Buttatoast »

Fantasy Fiction, dragons and wizards.
ambvoz1920

Post by ambvoz1920 »

Southern Gothic for writing. Perhaps it's incorporating my background too much into what I write, but it's what comes out best. I love the sense of random, in-equivocal doom that comes across in Flannery O'Conner and Shirley Jackson, and the thought there is always something sinister lying underneath. For reading, which maybe ties into the Gothic style, anything suspenseful. Crime, horror, romance, as long as there is something lurking you didn't know was there all along. Though obviously suspense isn't limited to any genre, obviously, I enjoy it best when there's a hint (or a lot) of the macabre.
StitchMySmile
Favorite Author: Neal Stephenson
Favorite Book: Snow Crash
Currently Reading: Hammer and Anvil
fav_author_id: 9595

Post by StitchMySmile »

Personally I like to write speculative fiction. I tend to drift in between dystopian fiction, sci-fi, and fantasy. I am also a big fan of steam punk although I have never written in it. For me, the farther I can get from reality the better. I really like to use my imagination.
Hourglass
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: I have many favorites
Currently Reading: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Post by Hourglass »

For writing I prefer fantasy and urban fantasy. I read across all genres.

-- 04 Nov 2012, 11:15 --

For writing I prefer fantasy and urban fantasy. I read across all genres.
danakisor
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Pet Sematary
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by danakisor »

I enjoy reading fantasy, mystery and thrillers and horror. But when I write, I typically stick to horror. Have you ever seen the original movie "The Exorcist"? I saw it when I was 15. Legally I was too young to go without an adult, but all my friends were going to see it, so I did, too.

I didn't sleep for about three days after that. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw that possessed little girl's face. I was a methodist and attended church and youth fellowship regularly, so I believed in the devil and this movie showed me what he looked like. It was a defining point in my life.

Later, I began to appreciate the power that movie had invoked, or more percisely, the powerful fear it invoked. I wanted to conquer that fear and learn to wield that power. A few years later, I fell in love with Stephen King's stories.

So, when I decided to begin writing, there was no question about my genre. Horror.

Over the years I have read many different authors in the genre and have come to the conclustion that someone in charge of such things has made the mistake of mixing horror writers with horrible writers. I found myself saying over and over 'I could write better than this guy/gal.'

So, now we'll see if I'm right. My first novel 'Ghost Story' will be released on Kindle early next year. Hopefully readers will agree it is horror, and not horrible.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

danakisor wrote: Over the years I have read many different authors in the genre and have come to the conclustion that someone in charge of such things has made the mistake of mixing horror writers with horrible writers. I found myself saying over and over 'I could write better than this guy/gal.'

So, now we'll see if I'm right. My first novel 'Ghost Story' will be released on Kindle early next year. Hopefully readers will agree it is horror, and not horrible.
I agree--horror novels can get a bad rap. When done well, they deserve every bit of the attention that thrillers and mysteries get. Some of Stephen King's books have been among my favorites. Good luck with 'Ghost Story.' Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I prefer a focus on supernatural phenomena (ghosts, haunted houses, etc.) rather than slasher type books. I wish you well. :)
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@danakisor
Your mention of "The Exorcist" resonated with me. I read the book when I was in my early teens, in bed at night under the blankets with a torch, & it scared the living daylights out of me. Subsequently when I saw the movie all I could do was laugh ... it all seemed so ridiculous & not nearly as scary as I had imagined it. Likewise with Dracula, I'd watched many a Vincent Price version and never felt especially scared but by God when I read the book ... that chapter about the carriage ride to the castle frightened me nearly to death! :oops:
I can only conclude that my imagination is a far more frightening place that anything a movie director has come up with ... that said horror is not one of my preferred reading genre but I do wish you luck with your book. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Patricia Farndon

Post by Patricia Farndon »

I am not a writer as such, but as an Open University student some years ago I participated in their Oral History project. I researched and wrote about The Working Class Child in Care 1925-1945. I chose those years because both of my parents were in care during 1925-1930's. I interviewed and recorded various testimonies and then transcribed them. I became fascinated by the experiences of these children during this era as most of my interviewees were in care due to the loss of a Father during the First World War. The stories were sad of course, the separation from a Mother who was struggling to keep her family together against the odds was traumatic.
My research and interviews created an interest in Social History so I read lots of books, some fiction (as long as they are based on fact) because I find it easier to remember what happened when if I have something or someone to pin it to.
At the moment I am trying to write a shortish book based on a group of women who belong to a craft group based in Menorca, a Balearic Island in Spain. The ages of the group members vary from 30-89. some of the older members have in my opinion, a story to tell regarding their early lives, marriage or career. One lady who sadly has died during the time of my beginning to form a plan of how the book should be formed did war work of an important nature. They are not just a group of knitters, ladies who are good at sewing, baking or pickling. There is a story behind every one of them and because of the generational differences in the group there must also be differences in their social background. As the group make things to sell for the Red Cross and all proceeds are donated to local causes I am hoping to produce a 'best seller' with a difference.

I would therefore say that my favourite genre is Social History although I am a compulsive reader and will read anything I find interesting, I am not really interested in fantasy or science fiction.
cmjellison

Post by cmjellison »

My favorite genre is realistic fantasy, where theres something magical set right in the everyday world. I also am a sucker for creative essays.

-- 07 Nov 2012, 21:58 --

As a writer, I prefer poetry. Its the closest form of writing to painting.

Return to “Writing Discussion”