What's your favorite genre?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Hope_0615
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What's your favorite genre?

Post by Hope_0615 »

Realistic fiction and poetry are my personal favorites. I'll read just about anything though :)
sauerteig

Post by sauerteig »

obviously thrillers ,romantic,adventure....
celinerm29

Post by celinerm29 »

I like to write ghost stories, inspirational stories, mystery stories and science fiction. My new e-book that I wrote is science fiction. It is entitled "I Have a Friend on Jupiter!" The first book I wrote which was published some years ago was entitled "Olivia MacAllister, Who Are You?" and that was a ghost story. I also love to write poetry and I self-published a book called "Through Celine's Eyes". I write a lot of short stories too.

Celine
nicoze256

Post by nicoze256 »

Normally, I don't care about the genre if the story's good enough. I don't like to read westerns, but I'd read it if it sounded like an intriguing enough story. I like speculative fiction which can be anything from fantasy to scifi to a mixture of anything else. I like weird fiction, too.
Towerdogwife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towerdogwife.html

Post by Towerdogwife »

I love Horror, Mystery, Crime really any type of book, lol. But I love action in them.
fsleeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fsleeper.html

Post by fsleeper »

I really like reading romantic books that involve some kind of danger. (For example I chose George Orwell's book 1984 over Pride and Prejudice)
kris281983

Post by kris281983 »

I love to read psychological thrillers and horror. I have a few authors I look forward to reading more from. Nothing gets my attention more than a book that makes me think all the way to the end, or horror to the point I won't walk to my kitchen without turning my lights on. :D
sathyaalwa

Post by sathyaalwa »

Comedy/Fun is my favorite of all. The reason is because I realized that it is a real relief from tensions when we see/listen/read some comedy around!
LadyStardust
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Shining
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by LadyStardust »

As a writer, almost everything I write inevitably turns into a thriller or horror. I think it has a lot to do with the way my brain works - I have a very overactive imagination, and an ordinary situation becomes extraordinary/disturbing/memorable in my mind, so that's what happens when I write.
"An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men." ~ Thomas Fuller
jojekier1979
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojekier1979.html

Post by jojekier1979 »

I would definitely say thrillers 8)
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I think mystery and thriller books. There's nothing like being kept on the edge of your seat! I like classics as well, and chick-lit is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine when I want something light to read.
kasmanandapalace

Post by kasmanandapalace »

The "Classics"baby
scorpreader1970
Favorite Author: sidney sheldon
Favorite Book: The Other Side of Midnight
Currently Reading: Flirting With Fate by Preeti Singh
fav_author_id: 3713

Post by scorpreader1970 »

There are some blokes like me who stick to one genre, whether writing or reading. I go with fiction because fiction can be so much more creative. I have written a sports based fiction novel and am craving to have it published since 2007. I know it is a great story. I had written it for my late mum (when she was alive) though she hated the game of boxing as much as I loved it.

Some day....I hope it gets published and I am adamant with having it published traditionally.
Cody Mathews
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cody-mathews.html
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Post by Cody Mathews »

I love non-fiction writing...it is hard for me to think about fantasy/mystery/story-telling.....must be factual or else my brain can't put it into action.
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie
Ms Frizz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-frizz.html

Post by Ms Frizz »

In an ideal world I would write quirky romances (mostly contemporary with quite a few comic elements, some historical) and dystopian stuff (both romantic and non-romantic types). I like to read mysteries, but I'm not sure of I can write them. I'd like to try someday when I have the time.

I can (and do) write nonfiction to pay the bills, but unless it's a topic I'm passionate about, I frequently have to fight burnout. I currently ghostwrite for several companies and, until recently, wrote educational articles as an independent contractor for a company that runs several websites.

I am looking forward to writing book reviews because I'll get to read fiction and books about topics of interest to me. In that way, the "research" part will be much more enjoyable than the typical nonfiction project.

Return to “Writing Discussion”