How many words per chapter?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Re: How many words per chapter?

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I've always struggled with this concept when writing. Quite honestly, I can't tell if chapters exist to break up scenes or if they're there to create cliffhangers. What I do know is that I really dislike books with inconsistent chapter averages. i.e. a book that has a 5-page chapter and then goes into a 20-page chapter, and then a 2-page chapter, and then a 50-page chapter. Inconsistencies like that throw me off, entirely.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

I aim for around 1300 words per chapter, but I do enjoy reading a book with shorter chapters.
all’s fair in love and poetry
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Silvia Sianto »

I think that having a set word count on a chapter is a little silly. I think that you, as the author, know best where a chapter should begin and end.Also you got all the responsibility to take charge of all the work you doing
Ludovica Peruzzi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

When reading I like my chapters to be fairly short, like 3k to 5k - but I'm so verbose when writing I always end up breaking my own rule. Honestly, while short chapters help you keep focus, especially at the beginning of a story, having too many of them later on might get distracting and ruin the immersion/tension. It all depends on what you, as an author, think the story needs.

Return to “Writing Discussion”