How many words per chapter?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

How many words per chapter?

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I have run across several facebook entries talking about chapters needing to be 3,000 to 4,000 words. Personally, I strongly disagree there should be any set number of words to a chapter. I am of the opinion, there should be exactly as many as it takes to contain the situation within the chapter, that might be 150 words or it might be 15,000. Either is okay. It is the content within that is important, not any arbitrary number convention.

What is your opinion on this?
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I agree to an extent. I definitely think 4,000 word is a lot and setting a minimum can take away from the story. However, I know in my writing I write what I want to happen in the chapter and then I check the word count. If it's under 1,000 I go back and I see if maybe the story could be developed more. If not, it's ok.
It's more of a suggestion than a set rule.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I think the 3,000/4,000 word count is a good suggestion, especially when you don't know where to start. However, if you have more experience with writing books or just know what direction you want your story to go, then you should disregard the word count.

Ultimately, it's up to the author and what story they want to tell. If they really understand their book, then they'll know when to start and end the chapters, so there's no need to follow suggested word counts. I've seen books with chapters that are only 1 page long and books with chapters that span several pages.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I think that having a set word count on a chapter is a little silly. I think that you, as the author, know best where a chapter should begin and end.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 09:14 I think the 3,000/4,000 word count is a good suggestion, especially when you don't know where to start. However, if you have more experience with writing books or just know what direction you want your story to go, then you should disregard the word count.

Ultimately, it's up to the author and what story they want to tell. If they really understand their book, then they'll know when to start and end the chapters, so there's no need to follow suggested word counts. I've seen books with chapters that are only 1 page long and books with chapters that span several pages.
:eusa-think:

I agree that it is up to the author. For someone just starting out, I would think they need focus on the quality of their writing more than any word counts. Sure they need to be aware of industry standards but that is something else.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:

rubinelli wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 11:12 I think that having a set word count on a chapter is a little silly. I think that you, as the author, know best where a chapter should begin and end.
My sentiments exactly! :tiphat:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:

Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 07:35 I agree to an extent. I definitely think 4,000 word is a lot and setting a minimum can take away from the story. However, I know in my writing I write what I want to happen in the chapter and then I check the word count. If it's under 1,000 I go back and I see if maybe the story could be developed more. If not, it's ok.
It's more of a suggestion than a set rule.
Interesting. When I am reading, I rarely pay much attention to the chapter breaks. I might use them as a hold point when I want a break from sitting and reading, but that isn't even very important. I tend to look for content, fluidity, and cohesive plots. Just me I guess.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Coincidentally- before I read this thread- I also write about 4000 words per chapter. Sometimes when I feel like I have a lot more to say I might write about 7000.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I prefer to see chapters as different episodes of the same story, so some my be longer and other short, but as to end we you feel like the episode has been completed.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

It depends on your style. For my current series my chapters tend to be 5000-9000 words. For me each chapter has one or two specific tasks. I find I need at least 5000 words to fill out a scene and convey all the action and emotions of the characters. As a reader I like short chapters because I like putting down a book at the end of a chapter. When they're short I feel I can squeeze in a read at any time. Everything being said, I've never chosen a book to read based on chapter size.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

Depend on your story or your task. I write a book and per chapter 4000-5000.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

It is a difficult question, but I guess 10 pages are good enough for a normal chapter. therefore, it will depend on the writer to decide.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

clint_csperry-org wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:18 I have run across several facebook entries talking about chapters needing to be 3,000 to 4,000 words. Personally, I strongly disagree there should be any set number of words to a chapter. I am of the opinion, there should be exactly as many as it takes to contain the situation within the chapter, that might be 150 words or it might be 15,000. Either is okay. It is the content within that is important, not any arbitrary number convention.

What is your opinion on this?
yeah i agree the words is just to describe the situation and it doesn't matter how much it is used ,more or less
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I've never really paid attention to the lengths of the chapters, personally. I typically just use them as a solid break point for if I need to get up for a while, or go do something else for awhile. I honestly don't even recognize that they are there and wouldn't notice their absence if they weren't. So I don't believe word count matters all that much, particularly not to me personally.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

this is a question thats always asked but my answer always is, it doesnt matter. chapters are used to break up the story into scenes/sections. you can have a 100 word chapter followed by a 2k word chapter. if thats the amount of words in your scene than you shouldnt worry about length and chapter size

Return to “Writing Discussion”