How do you challenge yourself as a writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

How do you challenge yourself as a writer?

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I love taking a series of words, random, unrelated, sometimes offbeat words and create a story using them properly. Their use must be a natural part of the story, and it must flow smoothly.

What about you, how do you challenge yourself?
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I try to write sad parts into my stories. I always want to give my characters happy lives but nothing's always sunshine and rainbows. So sometimes I challenge myself and make them struggle.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 06:38 I try to write sad parts into my stories. I always want to give my characters happy lives but nothing's always sunshine and rainbows. So sometimes I challenge myself and make them struggle.
Some of the people in my writers group think I am a sadist. I go beyond making the characters feel sad, I throw them into the worst situation I can imagine. Then let them work out how to get back on track.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

A few times I've tried to write a short story that fits with a song (often an instrumental piece of music so I'm not tempted to re-use any lyrics in the text). I find music very inspiring (I can't write in silence) so it's great sometimes just to get the emotions that I feel from the music onto the page.

Also, I sometimes read/write fanfiction. Often people make fun of it but I quite enjoy it. Sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone and pick up some characters that you haven't crafted to your own specifications. I sometimes find it difficult to have character inspiration so using someone else's can help to get the creative juices flowing rather than just waiting for an idea to come!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

Researching writing prompts, especially prompts that you aren’t really interested in, can help you challenge yourself as a writer. Stories written at different points of view and perspectives are also welcome challenges and can help you grow as a writer.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

If I’m looking to challenge myself, I would do those one-word challenges. You’re given a list of words to choose from. Every day, you have to pick one and write a story/poem using it as inspiration. It’s both challenging and fun; a single word can be interpreted in any number of ways.
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Frisca »

I am working on my first book.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I challenge myself by skipping all the adjectives and adverbs. I tend to be long-winded, so I'd rather write less descriptions.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Keeping up some form of writing on a regular basis is my challenge. I promised myself I wouldn't get in that slump of not writing for long periods of time.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Inkroverts wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:14 I challenge myself by skipping all the adjectives and adverbs. I tend to be long-winded, so I'd rather write less descriptions.
Agreed, I am trying to be more concise as well.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0723437338k »

I am yet to write anything but everyday i make sure i learn something new and try my best to improve on my flow of thought. As an aspiring writer i would like to do work on something that would leave a mark in the society like inspire are such staff.
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

One of the hardest exercises I've ever done involved writing a two-page biography using words of only one syllable. I found that the results were so rewarding. Certain lines had a poetic resonance that they wouldn't have, if I hadn't been forced to choose my words so carefully. It's definitely a skill I've taken forward into my writing.

But yes I agree about it being a challenge to work at it every day, to have a schedule and stick to it, although that does tend to get easier, I find, the more you get used to sitting down for a couple of hours every morning or evening or whatever.

Return to “Writing Discussion”