Letters to the Editor

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
readertim109
Bookshelf Size: 0

Letters to the Editor

Post by readertim109 »

Has anyone ever written an editorial or a letter to the editor to a magazine or newspaper? Do you know anyone who did? What was it about? Did it get published?
"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~
knightss

Post by knightss »

i have never sent one in but i usually read the editorials in the paper before i read the actual news. i enjoy reading peoples arguements.
Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

readertim109,

I've written quite a few Letters that were published--and quite a few that weren't :)

I've mostly been printed in the Chicago Sun-Times and a couple of magazines here and there. I think it's just like with any other publishing endeavor: It's gonna take some perseverence on your part (assuming you want to get one published, of course).

When I first began sending them, they would either not get printed or they would be marked-up (not as I sent them) to the point where I felt the Letter wasn't quite mine anymore. But, now, I expect when I send one in, that it will be printed as I wrote it. Now, it's almost as if I write and send them to check on my writing--to see if I can get one printed without a single change. But don't get me wrong, anytime I do actually take the time to write and send one in, it's regarding something about which I feel strongly. I've written about issues regarding child support, gambling, racism, and I've even written a Letter discussing the Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie alleged reconciliation! :)
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I used to write letters to the editor all the time and have had heaps published. My favourite was one to Rolling Stone magazine after an article about Kurt Cobain's suicide, about how the true tragedy of suicide was the poor bastards left behind. I got "Letter of the Month" with that one and after all these years I still have that page from the magazine tucked in the back of a photo album.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

sleepydumpling wrote:I used to write letters to the editor all the time and have had heaps published. My favourite was one to Rolling Stone magazine after an article about Kurt Cobain's suicide, about how the true tragedy of suicide was the poor bastards left behind. I got "Letter of the Month" with that one and after all these years I still have that page from the magazine tucked in the back of a photo album.
That's pretty cool (getting Letter of the Month). The only unfortunate thing is that it had to be such a heavy topic...but I know it was a thrill (as much as possible) knowing that people all over the world are/were focused on YOUR letter. Congrats on that :)
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

It was pretty cool, and a subject I am passionate about. One thing I can do well is write letters!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

Writing letters to the editor can be fun, especially if you get it published. The downside is that you usually don't get paid for it.
Diana Joe

Post by Diana Joe »

:D I have had many of my personal thoughts, and opinions published by local, and international medias. It always makes me feel good when I am given an opportunity to participate in my world, and also in my community.
I truly believe that through my writing, and finally having my thoughts and my personal views and opinions published; I will have achieved getting connected to others in a good way,and ultimately I will help make a difference in my community...and in my world.

Return to “Writing Discussion”