Please help, I have a verb dilemma!

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Please help, I have a verb dilemma!

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

I am currently writing a book (though I am an amateur and it isn't something I hope to publish, so I'm not registered as an author on here) and it is written about/ from the perspective of animals. So when I want to "show, not tell" their emotions, what verbs can I use that aren't only possible for humans, since I obviously have to steer clear of words like "smiled" or "laughed?" Thanks?
JPalomares
Favorite Book: Mother Night
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpalomares.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by JPalomares »

Howdy, Fifi!

I've run into this one, myself, at various times. It may be difficult to fully stay away from anthropomorphic descriptions when dealing with animals, especially when dealing with human-like subjects and interactions or at any time an animal might be speaking, but it is certainly doable.

This is how I've solved this problem in the past:

1.) Research and use descriptions of the animal's natural sounds and actions. A dog, for instance, may be said to chuff good-naturedly. To 'chuff' is simply to exhale noisily, but throw the adverb into the mix and we have a newly minted short-hand that, at the very least, evokes merriment. It should be noted that ‘good-naturedly’ is the summation of many small images, such as the rigidity or ease of the dog’s stance, the way in which it moves or does not move its tail, the tensing or laxness of the face about the eyes, nose, and mouth, the position of the tongue, the pitch and tone of its voice, etc. Any of the above can be worked in for flavor, but I’d personally err on the side of the adverbial summation that can add to an image rather than a plethora of images that may not readily add up to emotion.

2.) Fudge it a bit. Little Spike may be said to chuff good-naturedly whilst prancing about the yard. 'Prancing' isn't exactly the technical word for any of a dog's standard ambulatory practices, but it sure gets the meaning across better than ‘running’ on account of its emotional value. One who is sorrowful or unenthused simply does not prance.

3.) Embrace the folk story. Unless your writing requires the strictest observance of type, say, by commission or by a self-imposed restriction, it cannot hurt to allow yourself a little leeway in how you describe your animals: Spike laughed and danced across the yard.

Bonus.) Take a look at how others have done it in their various styles. Brian Jacques' Redwall, in particular, was an absolute favorite of mine growing up. Others include London’s White Fang (which may fall closest to the spirit of the question you asked), Adams’ Watership Down, O’Brien’s Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Gaiman’s Anansi Boys.

A last word: While a dog may not laugh quite in the way we do, it does still laugh. This is not so, so far as we can tell, for each and every animal (though we are, thankfully, long past the Cartesian prejudice of considering animal as machine), which makes me think, by reason of your question, that you are perhaps already assigning human desires and characteristics to animal characters? Should this be the case, my advice would be to embrace it fully and edit your descriptions accordingly.

Happy writing,
JPalomares
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I personally think you can use smile and laugh even for animals. A thesaurus will be most helpful, too. You can also google about how your animals "communicate." A horse neighs, a donkey brays, and a cat purrs.
Fifi_eve12

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

JPalomares wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 18:26 Howdy, Fifi!

I've run into this one, myself, at various times. It may be difficult to fully stay away from anthropomorphic descriptions when dealing with animals, especially when dealing with human-like subjects and interactions or at any time an animal might be speaking, but it is certainly doable.

This is how I've solved this problem in the past:

1.) Research and use descriptions of the animal's natural sounds and actions. A dog, for instance, may be said to chuff good-naturedly. To 'chuff' is simply to exhale noisily, but throw the adverb into the mix and we have a newly minted short-hand that, at the very least, evokes merriment. It should be noted that ‘good-naturedly’ is the summation of many small images, such as the rigidity or ease of the dog’s stance, the way in which it moves or does not move its tail, the tensing or laxness of the face about the eyes, nose, and mouth, the position of the tongue, the pitch and tone of its voice, etc. Any of the above can be worked in for flavor, but I’d personally err on the side of the adverbial summation that can add to an image rather than a plethora of images that may not readily add up to emotion.

2.) Fudge it a bit. Little Spike may be said to chuff good-naturedly whilst prancing about the yard. 'Prancing' isn't exactly the technical word for any of a dog's standard ambulatory practices, but it sure gets the meaning across better than ‘running’ on account of its emotional value. One who is sorrowful or unenthused simply does not prance.

3.) Embrace the folk story. Unless your writing requires the strictest observance of type, say, by commission or by a self-imposed restriction, it cannot hurt to allow yourself a little leeway in how you describe your animals: Spike laughed and danced across the yard.

Bonus.) Take a look at how others have done it in their various styles. Brian Jacques' Redwall, in particular, was an absolute favorite of mine growing up. Others include London’s White Fang (which may fall closest to the spirit of the question you asked), Adams’ Watership Down, O’Brien’s Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Gaiman’s Anansi Boys.

A last word: While a dog may not laugh quite in the way we do, it does still laugh. This is not so, so far as we can tell, for each and every animal (though we are, thankfully, long past the Cartesian prejudice of considering animal as machine), which makes me think, by reason of your question, that you are perhaps already assigning human desires and characteristics to animal characters? Should this be the case, my advice would be to embrace it fully and edit your descriptions accordingly.

Happy writing,
JPalomares
Thank you so much, that really helped. I will be sure to use your advice! I'm really grateful that you wrote all that for me and, as a writer, I find it's very important to take advice from fellow writers! So thank you! :tiphat:
Fifi_eve12

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 19:29 I personally think you can use smile and laugh even for animals. A thesaurus will be most helpful, too. You can also google about how your animals "communicate." A horse neighs, a donkey brays, and a cat purrs.
Ok, thank you! I am always grateful for the advice and opinions of fellow writers. :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Fifi_eve12 wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 15:27
Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 19:29 I personally think you can use smile and laugh even for animals. A thesaurus will be most helpful, too. You can also google about how your animals "communicate." A horse neighs, a donkey brays, and a cat purrs.
Ok, thank you! I am always grateful for the advice and opinions of fellow writers. :tiphat:
Oh, I'm just a wannabe. JPalomares seems to be the experienced one. The examples are mighty vivid and "animalistic." LOL!
Fifi_eve12

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 16:53
Fifi_eve12 wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 15:27
Oh, I'm just a wannabe. JPalomares seems to be the experienced one. The examples are mighty vivid and "animalistic." LOL!
🤣 Lol
Really though, your advice really helped ☺️
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Looks very interesting. Just read your question. If I have some ideas, I shall surely share them here.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

If you're giving animals more than the basic emotions—Is it food? Is it danger? Is it food?—you're already assigning human qualities to them, so just go ahead and let them smile and laugh, along with the other more animal characteristics.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

If you're not sure about how to write their facial expressions, you can try writing about their actions. "Show don't tell" isn't really "Write smiling instead of happy". A dog can wag its tails when its happy, jump around, chase its a tail, or even share its bone with you.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

One of my daughters described her dog Jack as handsome. I had never thought of a dog as handsome, but I suppose. You could watch animal videos and name what you think of their reactions and then use a thesaurus. Foxes are sly, cats are sneaky, stealthy, catty - their eyes and actions can challenge, plead, question, squirrels scold. Otters are playful. Oftentimes, I think, animal behavior is misinterpreted. My other daughter has a large dog, Windolyn Melville, who looks like a Malamute crossed with an Arctic wolf. Her eyes are blue and yellow and she often looks people right in the eyes. She normally greets people by standing on her hind legs, putting her paws around your shoulders, then looks you directly in the eyes and then licks your face. I'm short so I thought it was a domination thing, with the stare and all, but she also did the same thing with a male friend of mine who is about 6 ft. 1 inches and much bigger than me. But one would assume that he stare was supposed to be a challenge. Digression. Anyways, I think if you watched videos even animals if possible and then wrote down what expressions you thought they were having, your writing might have a more realistic feel to it, if that is what you are after. If you're going for make-believe, then this would probably be counterproductive, maybe...
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
word-warrior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-warrior.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by word-warrior »

You can get away with describing horses as laughing. They are very intuitive and have been known to demonstrate a sense of humor and a remarkable awareness of their human counterparts.

Return to “Writing Discussion”