Unfinished Novels?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rebecca Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
2017 Reading Goal: 200
Goal Completion: 9

Re: Unfinished Novels?

Post by Rebecca Henderson » 27 Apr 2017, 22:03

Is it a sign of a procrastinating writer as well to have unfinished novels? I'm embarrassed to admit that I've got a few that need some good attention, but I tend to start new writing projects and then get focused on them for a bit before I move on to the next idea.

I haven't yet found a way to just focus on one and see it through to the end. I find it hard these days to find enough time to spend on my works and when I do . . . I don't have writer's block. I have revision block.

Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: The Rainmaker
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2017 Reading Goal: 10
Goal Completion: 130
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal » 09 Jun 2017, 12:02

They are all over the place. Sometimes I get stuck on the very first chapter. Sometimes, I get halfway and dump it. Sometimes, I finish but choose to start again for improvement purposes, and never finish. My mum keeps asking if I've finished any. I have finished a few, but that's if you define finishing as just being done with writing but with a lot of editing to do.

rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by rhiza021 » 15 Jun 2017, 05:45

I do have some unfinished stories. I want to continue them but I find it hard to continue or finishing up a story rather than starting a new one.

emersendarco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by emersendarco » 02 Jul 2017, 21:51

I have plenty of these. Some I add to when I get a random thought. For the the most part I move on and create a new story, the rest remain unfinished. My first story took three years and 1,060 pages. Since then, I story hop. I try to change then genre but I also end up back at action romance or thriller romance.

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Messenger (2)
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2017 Reading Goal: 90
Goal Completion: 16
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 03 Jul 2017, 09:32

I have several. One connected to the story that I am determined to finish (I am in the middle of a rewrite), and several others that I am keeping quiet about because I intend to see them finished as well. They all circulate in some way around Romance and I seem to keep falling into the Paranormal scene. I do have one that falls into the Dystopian scene and I plan to work on that one once I am finished with the current series I am writing.

I have not gotten published yet, but it is a dream and a goal.
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2017 Reading Goal: 48
Goal Completion: 87

Post by DDunstock » 05 Jul 2017, 07:14

Rebeccaej wrote:I'm halfway through my second draft, and I'm kinda loosing steam...
I feel you. I'm 5 chapters into my first novel and losing that spark I had when I started writing it ... love/hate relationship with my work processor right now.

Mashell Chapeyama
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mashell Chapeyama » 06 Jul 2017, 01:01

O! Yaa, I have a number of unfinished books at different stages of development. Most of these seem complete but they need editing and thorough revision. I am confident they may be published but the issue of poor payment for books in my country has disheartened me. I find more solace in writing articles and material online.

hlc85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 » 07 Aug 2017, 01:28

I have a number of unfinished works, waiting to be completed. Like toys on a shelf, these works were abandoned because real life got in the way. I try to write everyday, but I can not seem to focus long enough to make noticeable dents. My life goal is finish just one piece of literature.

Leximillion
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2017 Reading Goal: 52

Post by Leximillion » 11 Aug 2017, 14:20

I have a few, two unfinished from high school and a few from failed NaNoWriMo attempts. I just became uninspired for some reason. :/

Femisam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femisam.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Femisam » 13 Aug 2017, 04:54

Wow! Reading the comments in this section gives me the courage to go back to the series of novels that i have not finished. Knowing that i am not alone in this is quite encouraging. So i think i will have to get back to them and finish them one after the other. The issue with me is that writing may get really boring especially when i am lost of ideas.

BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by BoyLazy » 30 Sep 2017, 09:24

I will be having it soon. I'll come back and post about it here ?
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Writing Discussion”