The first step.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MnRen91
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 30

The first step.

Post by MnRen91 »

So I have been playing with the idea of attempting to write my first novel. I have always written things for myself and have come up with a few ideas that I feel like I am ready to run with. I feel like the first step to committing to putting your workout there may be one of the hardest.

I find myself actively putting up mental blocks. The what if game is on a constant stream in my mind. What if I don't finish it? What if I am actually a terrible writer? It is a scary thing to put yourself out there and I know I just need to do it. I guess I am posting in this forum to hear how everyone else got started. I would love to hear what pushed you to write something you were hoping to share with others.
Stevie Hostetter
Currently Reading: The Only Good Indians
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevie-hostetter.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Stevie Hostetter »

Hello MnRen91,

I wrote my first novel in February and published it on Kindle Direct Publishing. The questions that plague your mind about writing a book are standard and a step in the right direction. You ask, "What if I don't finish it?' I say you can always start again on a new concept. You ask, "What if I am actually a terrible writer?" There is always room to grow, and if you think you are good nine times out of ten, you are good. Also, try your work out in writing groups on Facebook. Ask people what they think of your writing.

Writing a book is very daunting, but the feeling you get once it is finished is unimaginable. I can guarantee that if you start writing a book and truly believe in yourself, you'll be able to get through. There are also resources on the web to help you get started.

My first book was poetry, and I enjoyed writing that book. My book is not very popular, but that is okay because I did something I loved doing, and nothing will make me regret that. One more tip you can start a blog and test the waters to see how people like your writing.

Stevie
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Stevie Hostetter wrote: 30 May 2023, 20:58 Hello MnRen91,

I wrote my first novel in February and published it on Kindle Direct Publishing. The questions that plague your mind about writing a book are standard and a step in the right direction. You ask, "What if I don't finish it?' I say you can always start again on a new concept. You ask, "What if I am actually a terrible writer?" There is always room to grow, and if you think you are good nine times out of ten, you are good. Also, try your work out in writing groups on Facebook. Ask people what they think of your writing.

Writing a book is very daunting, but the feeling you get once it is finished is unimaginable. I can guarantee that if you start writing a book and truly believe in yourself, you'll be able to get through. There are also resources on the web to help you get started.

My first book was poetry, and I enjoyed writing that book. My book is not very popular, but that is okay because I did something I loved doing, and nothing will make me regret that. One more tip you can start a blog and test the waters to see how people like your writing.

Stevie
I think you are right. Writing a book is pretty daunting and there is always that question of whether it will be finished or not. But then you can always start again with fresh ideas.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

MnRen91 wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 09:56 So I have been playing with the idea of attempting to write my first novel. I have always written things for myself and have come up with a few ideas that I feel like I am ready to run with. I feel like the first step to committing to putting your workout there may be one of the hardest.

I find myself actively putting up mental blocks. The what if game is on a constant stream in my mind. What if I don't finish it? What if I am actually a terrible writer? It is a scary thing to put yourself out there and I know I just need to do it. I guess I am posting in this forum to hear how everyone else got started. I would love to hear what pushed you to write something you were hoping to share with others.
You should give it a try and write a small piece. Pass it among your friends and see how they like it.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

My first book, "A Story of the Beginning" (2016), was more a collection of thoughts, ideas, and desires from my time at our local renaissance festival and being a history nerd then it was a professional attempt at writing. I combined the two loves of festivals & history and out came a story. Its historical accuracy is questionable, as are the structure, grammar, and everything else that a "professional" author should be. Personally, its trash (and I am the one that wrote it! :doh: :o ). However, its raw spirit, emotions, and love of the characters & story left something to be desired. A short story in the end, barely over 100 pages.

That book would sit collecting dust; I never promoted it beyond the circles of my friends, etc. I think I sold 6 copies total initially, 7 or 8 total as of 2023. However, I spent the next 5 years putting my nose to the ground and really wanting to "get it right" because of that left something to be desired feeling I had. I ended up writing another book with the same character & story set several months later after the original book's story, but with 5 years of academic research, 10 historical books to back it up, and writing multiple drafts. A soft reboot if you will. What came out in 2021 was "No Tears (Northern Company)". Night & day differences. The 2021 book was inspired with that 2016 original. So, I went back and in 2022, I rewrote my original book into "A Story of the Beginning (Revised Edition)". It kept the same spirit & structure of the original, but utilized proper historical facts and corrected writing norms, while using "No Tears" as its new canon basis. What came out of the 2022 rewrite was what I was trying to go for in 2016 but failed due to limitations of being a new author with ZERO EXPERIENCE in writing books.

I say all of that to say this: it is okay, in my opinion, if your first book is what YOU want it to be, not what the greater world expects. Go out there, explore and write. Publish it. Let it sit collecting dust for 5 years and go back at it. Or hit the ground running with no regrets and never do a rewrite and just write, write, write. Never look back. Either approach, the beginning is the same: just write. Its the only way you will get past any hurdles you have. Enjoy the ride, learn from the mistakes, and understand the difference between healthy criticism and personal self-loathing because of too high of a bar you set for yourself. Find the happy balance and you'll be happy whether it is one book you write or 20 books.

I hope that helps. :)
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Abhiram431
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abhiram431 »

best information thanks for sharing with us
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Stevie Hostetter wrote: 30 May 2023, 20:58 Hello MnRen91,

Stevie
Congratulations on publishing your novel. And I also wanted to thank you for your encouragement. I'm a creative writer because I call myself so. I have never published a work. I always block the next step. So your words are a booster. Thank you. :)
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

You can always find excuses and procrastinate about things you don't want to do. There's really only one way to write a book. You need to sit down and just get writing!

Return to “Writing Discussion”