Which came first: the characters or the story?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: Which came first: the characters or the story?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

eelavahs-jay wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 09:02 Sometimes ideas come first in the form of stories and sometimes in the form of characters. I'm working on a stand-alone psychological thriller and the story came to me way before the characters did. However for my fantasy series it was the idea for an antagonist that came first. So I'd say it varies.
I agree with you on the fantasy part. My writing process is to first come up with a well-developed antagonist, then I try to plot the events leading to the first meet of the antagonist and the protagonist. Lastly, I try to make the protagonist as relatable and realistic as possible since readers would most likely be drawn into reading my story if they find the main character to have that quality.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

LivreAmour217 wrote: 27 Oct 2014, 13:39 I actually have the same problem (coming up with characters before I have a story). I call it a problem because while I find creating characters to be a very easy process, I struggle with creating a good story in which to place them! It doesn't work very well for me, I'm afraid, but perhaps if I just concentrate on one character at a time, something will finally come together.
I am not a veteran writer, but I think that it's better to have a well-develop character in a simple plot than have unrelatable and one-dimensional characters in complex, intriguing plots.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Sometimes it's a bit of both. For instance, I wanted to write a female character that was part dog but didn't initially plan to include her in my current story. However, as I continued with the plot, she ended up fitting in to the narrative and I think makes it more interesting.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I think that no character exists without a story. Crafting the story is very more important than looking for the characters. If there are no stories, there won't be a need for characters. Hence, the story is first before the characters.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

What if you get the characters and don't come up with any story they can fit into? I guess that would be a total waste of time. Hence, the story must go first before trying to find the characters that will make up the story.

Return to “Writing Discussion”