Pencil or pen?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Pencil or pen?

Post by Etini Willie »

I actually prefer writing with a pen. It makes writing to flow seamlessly
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I absolutely go for pens rather than pencils. I'm going to need to look through this post thread to see if others suggested their favorite pens so I can get some suggestions.
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

Pencil. Mechanical pencil. I don't really like crossing out stuff, especially when I can't decide what word to write and end up crossing the same word 5 times.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

I prefer pencils to pens. It's easier for me to correct my work when written in pencil then after I would write with a pen.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Pen but I like the sharpie small tip pens. As simple as it seems, a good writing utensil makes all the difference!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

Pen! I just like the feel and look of it better. Also, maybe it's something to do with the permanency of ink - once you write something down, it's there forever!
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

DuchessAngel37 wrote: 15 Feb 2007, 20:50 This might sound like a silly question, but it might not be.

Do you prefer to write in pencil or pen?

For me, it's the pen. I can't do pencils. Ink is so much smoother, and when I make a mistake or want to change something I wrote I just scribble it out and keep going.

A friend of mine prefers pencil, when he wants to change something, he stops to erase it and does it over.

What about you?
This is a cute topic and reminds me of when I taught senior writing. The students were assigned a compare/contrast paper, and a student did it on this topic. I have NEVER thought of it before. Her argument was for the pen, and from that day on, I have thought about it whenever I need to write something. If I use a pencil, it has to be a BIC mechanical pencil because they don't squeak when they write. But, I do notice that pens are so much smoother.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

You can keep this question for an artist. I have no great dealings with pencils. I use pen almost all the times. When I use a pen, it gives me flexibility and speed in writing unlike when I use a pencil.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Of course if given the chance to choose between a pencil and a pen, I would go for a pen. I mean, what would I use a pencil for at this stage of my life. I'm not about turning into one hell of an artist that would be needing a pencil. Give me that pen please.

Return to “Writing Discussion”