Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by beccabecky »

I do! Relaxing music and not too loud so that it doesn't distract me too much. Soft music works for me!
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I prefer either silence, instrumental music, or background sounds like rain or a fireplace.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

Usually, I don't listen to music when I write. I find it distracting. Sometimes, I listen to classical music or music with no lyrics in order to drown out the annoying background noise like my family talking, etc.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by SMAhmed »

For me it really depends. Sometimes it helps more to listen to ambient noises or instrumentals and sometimes it helps to listen to an entire album. I recently did the latter with Folklore (the new Taylor Swift album).
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Amna Khalid »

I do listen to music when I write. But, sometimes music distracts me and I am forced to pause it. Also, sometimes music helps me to write because outside voices distracts me, but music helps me to focus.
Amna Khalid
iangillwindows
2021 Reading Goal: 4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iangillwindows »

I do listen to music while writing, on occasion. When I do, I listen to instrumental music, generally something soft. I do not listen to anything with lyrics, as they are too distracting. My preference is to listen to recordings of natural backgrounds, wind, ocean waves, rain, and so on. These can be very stimulating when I am writing a scene that takes place in appropriate settings.

Return to “Writing Discussion”