Is the story's ending the most difficult part of writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rohit53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is the story's ending the most difficult part of writing?

Post by rohit53 »

Hey y'all,

So I'm currently working on a graphic novel about my experience in Venezuela. I know how the story is going to play out, I know who's going to live and die and so forth. Essentially, I have the outline of the story. But then it hit me while I was writing this...how am I going to end the story?

And then a thought came into my head of Ernest Hemingway. How he rewrote A Farewell to Arms' ending 37 freaking times! (By the way, if you haven't read this book, I do recommend it. It's really good) But returning to the topic, does anybody else have trouble with their endings as well? I would love to hear your thoughts and inputs.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

I think I've rewritten the ending to one of my stories at least that many times, or at least close to it. I find I change the ending over and over as my story evolves. I won't know how it's really going to end until it does.
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli
arthurnottheking

Post by arthurnottheking »

I often rewrite the endings. But not in short stories.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

For me its deciding what gets the characters started on their journey is hardest. I typically know the main theme of the story, what the end result is going to be and what takes place afterwards. What becomes the emphasis for the characters to take action is what I change most often.
Black Jewel
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Next Stage
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Black Jewel »

For me, when I start a project, I already have the beginning and the ending in mind. It's easy for me to write them. It's the middle that I have a difficult time working my way through in order to connect that beginning to my ending.
zayyyna
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by zayyyna »

when i write something ,a good beginning is what we all need to make a good impression and the start is when everybody read and want to read more so start should be good so for me writing a start is more difficult .

Return to “Writing Discussion”